MN deer opener

goldeneye

Good luck to all deer hunters this opening weekend.
I hope to shoot something little and runty by 8am and be hunting my dog by 9:D

You boys are braver than I. I give the million man army the weekend to whistle their bullets and slugs without me or the mutt getting in the way. Next weekend we'll be back out there hoping most have filled their tags.

I'm abit suprised that more don't deer hunt on this MN form. I agree I would rather bird hunt but I just feel like I should do it every year. I have seen quite a few birds and may have to line up a hunt in the swamp area by my stand soon.
Took the kid with me on Sat. we saw 5 deer just was not able to shoot at any. I did not go on Sunday. hope to find one tommorow. I got a good pics of the kid and I. I will try to post it tommorow night. Good luck hunting to all deer or birds.:thumbsup:

This is a picture of my daughter and I enjoying a lunch in the woods.
We were able to spend all afternoon together in the outdoors with the nice weather. She found a deer hip bone that was chewed on by mice and took it to school to show others.
What could be better then a day of introducing a loved one to the outdoors?

deer10036.jpg

Did you guys see the massive buck in the Star Tribune Outdoors taken with a .410 slug on public ground. The guy had broke his collarbone and didn't think he could handle the kick from his 12 gauge so he took the .410 out and had this Monster run up to him.

Wirehairs, what a beast huh? Goes to show what a slug of any caliber can do!

Also, I'm coming out to Winner for the first week of December. How are things around there?

I went out chasing roosters on Saturday. Not a good idea. Deer hunters everywhere.

I finally found one WMA with no cars parked and no trees other than some willows. I walked it for awhile and got to the back of the willows when I saw a deer hunter 3 yards away. My setter ran right by him. I'm lucky my dog didn't get shot.

Wirehairs, what a beast huh? Goes to show what a slug of any caliber can do!

Also, I'm coming out to Winner for the first week of December. How are things around there?

Bird numbers have been fantastic. They are flushing pretty wild now. The weather is starting to cool down now. We where over 80 degrees last weekend. Crops are out so birds don't have as many places to hide. Pretty good opportunities for birds still and hunting pressure has dropped way off. If you don't have a group big enough to have some blockers you better bring a full choke, the birds are wise and know why your there!

Last edited:
Bird numbers have been fantastic. They are flushing pretty wild now. The weather is starting to cool down now. We where over 80 degrees last weekend. Crops are out so birds don't have as many places to hide. Pretty good opportunities for birds still and hunting pressure has dropped way off. If you don't have a group big enough to have some blockers you better bring a full choke, the birds are wise and know why your there!

We gamble by waiting to go so late in the year but hopefully we'll still be able to corner a few! Last year was perfect with the corn having just come out that first week of December. This year will be a bit more interesting, I can only imagine how wary they are with the pressure they get.

So does everyone in town know Kooch then? We usually go through him for lodging and some bird cleaning. What a character!

Oh yeah everybody knows the most famous cock cleaner in SD. By coming late season you should still be on a lot of birds, but you will get to hunt all day instead of a couple hours and have a limit.

Back