Mixed bag game birds

Some friends and I have an itch to try new ground for a change. Not asking for secrets here, but if you were to point a guy in a direction in mt for Huns grouse and phez- where would be your suggestion to start?

You don't want anybody to give you their secrets, but then you ask for a place to start. My place for you to start is to do your own reseach.

My suggestion would be central to eastern MT. The next step would be to go to the FWP website and start looking at the Block Management maps. You don't want to go too far west as the opportunities start to dwindle.

Thanks mttailchaser, that was my interpretation with the site also. Would miles city be a decent home base? I'm playing phone tag with a biologist right now.

Brit- good constructive first post.

Miles City could work, although there are a lot of BMA's west towards Hysham. Most of them are Type II, which means you have to get landowners permission and possibly make a reservation. Central MT around Lewistown isn't bad either. The best in the state is northeast around Plentywood, but it can get hunted pretty hard. It's tougher when you don't know people to get on to private property, all you can do is ask.

Barettadouble. Your question is right in line.:thumbsup:

For sure the thing to do is get the Block Management information available from the MT,F,W and Parks website. Available about mid August. And get the BLM maps for the regions Your interested in. Order from BLM office out of Billings or on the BLM, ND. MT. web site. These maps show all public lands.

Miles City would be a good home base. There is public land and some good BMA's. That area has had a mild Winter, with some good weather during nesting birds should be plentiful. Plentywood area on the other hand has had a ton of snow and cold this Winter, wildlife probably suffered.

You don't want anybody to give you their secrets, but then you ask for a place to start. My place for you to start is to do your own reseach.

thanks for your 1 great comment britlabrunner what a dick typical lakeville douche you have not been on the site long enough to just act like you control this thread man??? the man was just asking for general info if you wanted to starve the guy of info just dont respond for you being so rude many more people will feel free to help berettadouble out...

MNMThunting is the man to listen to hes out there every yr...

berettadouble and anyone else, I apologies if I came off alittle strong in my earlier post. If you go to the Main forum page I just posted my opinions on the subject at hand.

small munsterlander owner those are some pretty strong words about a man you never met.

BLR, Hang around. Give some worthwhile comments and gain some. Trust me:) UPH and the folks here are NO threat to the future of Your pheasant hunting.:thumbsup:

mnmthunting I've been hanging around for years and don't plan on going anywhere. I don't understand where you think I think this forum or the people here are threat to my hunting.

Last edited:
A few years ago, Froid had a preseason steak fry and a get together with the local ranchers. Permission slips were handed out at that time. I grew up around Chariton IA and even back then we had great bird hunting and if all else failed we went up around Grinell. A lot cheaper then driving 1000 miles. If you drive that far you should shoot the works and do the elk, deer, antelope along with the birds. Just a suggestion.

Yep Raybob I'd sure like to hit the big game trifecta, and i may put in for antelope as well, but the odds of draw look to be 1 in 5 at best. And you're right, a smart fella would just stay home and hunt birds, but the west really gets in my blood. Ive hunted sage grouse for the last 10 years or so in WY and want to see some new ground. Partridge especially intrigue me as they are a purely incidental bird in Iowa now.

My group has always kicked around a upland/waterfowl hunt.
We never have cuz we feel one will take away from the other.
Upland hunting is just to fun out there. You'll have a great time
just upland hunting. .

Miles City is in the 700's for antelope. Odds of drawing antelope for NR's would be better then most of MT.
For a NR to hunt waterfowl in MT You will need a state stamp. $50 and the federal stamp along with your bird license.
If you like shooting Honkers there's a ton of them along the Yellowstone.

It does take a lot of time to get to know an area. As long as your interested in Grouse and partridge hunting along with pheasants I recon that is enough to keep you busy.:cheers:

small munsterlander owner those are some pretty strong words about a man you never met.

i met you on your 1st comment britlabrunner i grew up in IGH & STP went to school with yuppie kids from lakeville in middle school & high school & it seems like the only comments that they ever had or maid were very similar to your go do your own scouting comment just needless smart ass comments...

that comment left for berettadouble was uncalled for man & not really a good way to make friends on a forum...

i was bashed really hard on this forum for my thought/views on PAY TO PLAY hunting had my ass handed to me plenty good for way less comments then you posted for your 1st post... if you had been a 100 post member i wouldnt even of commented on your rude comment but thats not a cool way to start off on a new forum man come on...

as for the a smart bird hunter stays home??? man i can not get any wear nearly as excited for a hunt close to home as i do for a hunt out of state i have planed months in advance...

i love exploring new public lands out west there is nothing like it!!! i mean its exciting to hunt at home but nothing like a travel out of state plan every detail out to a T type of out of state hunt if you ask me???

i travel to hunt turkeys & will travel for pheasants but they weigh alot less then a deer/elk/speed goat i mean to me them big game hunts all the fun stops after you pull the trigger unless you went the guided route??? but once you pull that trigger the fun stops & the work begins... moose hunting is even worse...

give me a turkey or a vest full of pheasants any day i can always make the walk back to the vehicle when hunting upland game birds big game thats not the case...

i really sank in when i went to NW MT on the canada border man that country was big harsh mountain country & no big game hunt comes EZ there man i just imagined the amount of work to get a elk/moose out of them MTNs it was not worth it to me lol each to there own i guess

i met you on your 1st comment britlabrunner i grew up in IGH & STP went to school with yuppie kids from lakeville in middle school & high school & it seems like the only comments that they ever had or maid were very similar to your go do your own scouting comment just needless smart ass comments...

that comment left for berettadouble was uncalled for man & not really a good way to make friends on a forum...

i was bashed really hard on this forum for my thought/views on PAY TO PLAY hunting had my ass handed to me plenty good for way less comments then you posted for your 1st post... if you had been a 100 post member i wouldnt even of commented on your rude comment but thats not a cool way to start off on a new forum man come on...

I'll say it again "strong words towards someone you never met" You read something I wrote. Which I have apologised for if it came off to strong. If you did actually meet me you would know I grew up in New Prague. Moved to Lakeville 22 years ago at the age of 27. If we are going to judge peoples character based on what they write, wel me know go their man. Personal attackes should be off limits on this forum.

I'm thinking you guys are both good people.
Don't let things get personal. :cheers:

Bird hunting

Some friends and I have an itch to try new ground for a change. Not asking for secrets here, but if you were to point a guy in a direction in mt for Huns grouse and phez- where would be your suggestion to start?

Some of the best pheasant hunting I have had is on Block Management land around Circle,Montana and even up around Vida,MontanaThere is Block Management areas just east of Vida that has been very good in the past for me.It is a very large area.The best sharptail hunting I have had has been just about all over Eastern Montana.There is a lot of BLM and Block Management down around Ekalaka.Broadus has also been a very good area.I have not seen alot of pheasants in these areas,but the sharptail action has always been good for me.Good luck.

Back