Mixed bag game birds

Boy, thanks a ton for the info. It gives great direction to start the research. As stated before the prep is half the fun. One roadblock I'm running into on the Block Management-I can't find any maps on the state website (as I'm sure they're all in renogotiation) but does anybody know where I can view last years maps? I know they couldn't be relied upon as they're old, but past experience is alot of them get renewed.

As far as sharpies prtyy much being anywhere in the eastern half- does same hold true for Huns then? My understanding has been similiar types of cover and ground?

You probably won't be able to access any of the BMA maps until the middle to end of August. Usually around the 15th of August is when reservations on the Type II BMA's can be made. Another program to look into is the Open Fields for Bird Hunters. This program was new last year and there are no sign in boxes(just walk in) and they are strictly for upland hunting. I was really looking forward to trying some out, but they were all in eastern MT (where I used to live) and none around Billings where I am now. I only made it home once last year, but am planning a couple trips back there this year. As far as Huns go, you'll have no problem seeing them in eastern MT. I don't think any of last years maps are available online. You can sign up to receive this years in the mail though. I would definitely look into the Open Fields spots too as a lot of them are around several BMA's. With a little planning, you could easily hit multiple BMA's & Open Fields spots in a day.

Huns

Yes I have seen huns in Eastern Montana,mostly around where there is crop farming,but I have seen them in about every place I have seen sharptail.One other thing I was going to mention is that I had pretty good success around The little town of Brockway on alot of sign-in Block management for sharptail and pheasant.

There are some nice BMA's around Brockway. If you go further west there are also some decent ones around Winnett too.

Get the BLM maps in the areas your interested in. Shows all federal lands and state school sections and other state and public land.
Most of the BMA's are associated with public land, some are mostly public land.
Then in August when the 013 BMA are available You'll have a better idea.:thumbsup:

Most of the BMA's are associated with public land, some are mostly public land.
Then in August when the 013 BMA are available You'll have a better idea.:thumbsup:

When you say this, do you mean they're near public land? Block Management in MT is all on private land. Sometimes BMA's are close to public land, but not always.

There are LOTS of State and Federal Lands WITHIN Block Management areas.

I agree with MNMT alot of BMA's open federal and state land that would otherwise be land locked and inaccessible. If you want to reduce some confusion on where BLM and state land starts and stops and not have a rancher roll up and cuss you out I suggest you get this chip for your GPS.
http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

There are LOTS of State and Federal Lands WITHIN Block Management areas.

I agree 100% with you, but I think without knowing where the BMA's are at, you can't really plan a hunt solely around state/blm land if your're also looking at BMA's too. It's a good place to start, but I just wouldn't base a hunt around where the state/blm lands are because there are some public lands that are great for big game but not so great for upland. I also agree with the hunting gps maps. Best $100 I've spent for hunting in a long time. I have mine in my Nuvi so I can scout all the time while I'm working. I should run up to the FWP office to see if they still have any of last years books available still, never hurts to ask.

No luck on the BMA books at the FWP office. The gal at the counter told me once the contracts expire they toss em. She said they'll be available August 15, so I would guess they should be available online then too.

rain and roads

keep in mind the ground in some areas can get real soft if you get a little rain.So if you get rain my suggestion would be to stay on the roads.I hunted west of Jordan,Montana one time and it rained slightly and I was off the road and ended up burying my truck in the mud.It was good hunting though.

Revisiting this thread since I have maps in hand now and just wanted to give everyone a big thank you again. I will be starting the opener in Miles City and then heading to Billings the following Tuesday for a few days. PLEASE pm me if you are there I'd love to buy you a beer.

Back