Missouri Pheasant Report, Any Luck?

Bones302

Nov 21: Private land near Gallatin, 2 rooster 2 hens got up wild, they were in the exact same grass as last year.

Nov 22: Me and my brother have been goin to Bilby on the weekends.I got mine and my 11 month GSP first rooster, it was the only one that held for a point.

Nov 28: Back at Bilby because my brother still wants his and pups first bird. 9 hens, with one double hens. Not planning on making that trip any time soon again.

p.s 70 degrees equals WHERE IS WINTER!!

Bilby

Was at Bilby Saturday morning. 1 Covey of quail and 1 Hen.

It looked like they were finishing up combining though.

Went out NW of St. Joe last Friday and the 12 inches of snow really kicked my butt. After about 4 hours of hunting I was done. Saw 4 hens and 3 covies of quail.

zeepo

What can I say. My friend owns 500 acres near St. Joe and we do a lot of burning food plots, etc. Normally we see as many birds up there as in KS but the last 2 years have been tough. We would move 8-10 coveys and 50 pheasant a day but like I said that came to a halt 2 years ago. I could have shot several quail Friday but just let them alone for another day.

zeepo

Hunted Bilby yesterday... very cold but I had the opportunity so what the heck. Saw 7 hens and one rooster, he is still there:( I was hoping to get my 1 yr old labs first Missouri rooster, she did a great job working the birds to the end of a draw. Up pops a hen followed by the lone rooster, bundled in heavy clothing and for some reason suprised at the sight of a rooster... my shooting was less than desirable. This is her first season and she has been doing great out in KS, but I really wanted the hard to find MO rooster. Hopefully soon another opportunity will present itself.

How does the private land hold birds in NW Missouri? I might have a couple people willing to let me hunt but just wonder if it is worth my time or even if the farms will have the right habitat left for the birds to want to be there.

I hunted 6 hours at Pony Express Saturday. There were three guys and four dogs. It was our first time up there and I was not very impressed. We got in to one covey of quail 10 birds or less, and saw no pheasants at all. The cover was not all that great in my opinion. This may be due to the lack of knowledge of the area but we did cover a lot of ground.

Went to Happy Holler, lots of turkey, deer hunter said he heard a covey flush but we worked the area and found nothing. Starting to get burned out chasing hear say. Hopefully the last weeks of season turns around.

There is still quite a bit of snow after you get past St. Joe but its melting away so I'm hoping for a dusting for Christmas weekend.

The ground wasn'nt covered, but there were some patches of crusty snow still. I just try to look for good CRP patches next to some crops. Its not that there was no cover I just think I have been to other Missouri conservation areas that do a better job. I do want to say that we definately didnt cover it all and since it was our first time we had to feel our way around a little. I was just expecting to at least move some hens.

Thought about going to Corning CA in the morning for last chance to get out this season and let my dog run some steam off after being cooped up for a couple weeks.

Back