Missouri Opener

mo hunting

Zeep what kind of dogs do you have i see your from desoto i bought a beef and half hog from steves there in your town i tell you what from what i have heard theres a little public ground just north of valley falls never hunted it but i heard there are some good numbers there

I have a retired german wirehair and I hunt a shorthair. When I first moved to De Soto in 85 I used to hunt Lake Perry north of Valley Falls every week. There were good populations of birds. I quit hunting it about 10 years ago when the bird populatin went way down. Have not been back since. I used to Melvern and Pomona also. Very little pheasants but good quail but I have not hunted down there in a while also. I have a good friend that has 500 acres near St joe so we go up there instead of local Ks trips.

Zeepo

Nodaway Valley has 3 different types of areas - refuge, draw waterfowl hunting areas and open areas. The refuge is exactly as described - no entry, the draw areas are only open to waterfowl hunting during the waterfowl season - no other hunting until after duck season, and the open areas are open to all hunters. One thing to note is that nontoxic shot is required for any hunting on the area and lead can not even be carried. Depending on water conditions it can be a good hunt, but as wet as this year has been, some scouting would be necessary before just showing up opening day and hunting.

Bilby is a good area, but opening day can be crowded, especially when it falls on a weekend like this year. Be prepared to see some amazing shooting also - I have seen guys shoot at birds so far away they would have needed their deer rifle to hit them, seen guys shoot hens (and get caught), and many other things.

One of the most important things to remember when hunting these areas is to have patience and enjoy yourselves. It is not uncommon to have other peoples dogs hunt with you more than their owners, have people and other dogs flush birds your dog is pointing if your dog has some range or even have people cross right in front of you or cut you off as you walk an area. With some people, getting their limit and then getting back to the truck is a race, and they don't care what it takes to get to that point.

Sorry for getting off the subject.

Jason

I live in St. Joe and need hunting buddies

Hello all,
new to upland hunting and live in st. joe. If any of you ever need a hunting buddy on the weekend I'd be more than happy to go. I am currently training a shorthair and we need some hunting miles put on us.
Ross

Hey man I would be willing to walk some fields with you. Do you have or are you planning on getting a Kansas tag?

I live in St Joe but work in Atchison, KS. I used to live and work in Maryville and ran my previous GSP at all the conservation ground in the area, especially at Bilby.

This year I have a new GSP, Angus (just turned 1 a week ago), and I plan to hunt in both MO and KS. He is doing pretty well with his bird manners - planted pigeons, quail and pheasants, but needs some work with his backing, and of course needs lots of wild bird exposure.

NE of Maryville? Somewhere around Hopkins, or farther east?

Jason

mo hunting

Parnell if the crops are out can have a good time hey hunterw you wouldnt want to go with me i would wear you out lol.

The crops are coming out pretty steadily right now. It looks like the beans are going to be out first in most places, but the corn is not far behind (some of it is already out). Do you own the land (and are you from Parnell), or only have permission - not trying to steal a spot, only wondering if I worked with/know any relatives. I worked at Kawasaki for 9 years. You can send me a PM or an email if you want, you should be able to get my email from my profile.

Have any of you guys that have been out running your dogs been seeing many birds? My main spot seems almost bare this year. I am hoping that once the crops are out the birds will move into the crp from the surrounding crop ground, but so far all we have been finding in any numbers are turkeys.

Jason

mo hunting

i just have permission my dad and me found it 20 yrs ago.The guy i hunt on is always late and we kind of have trouble if the crops arent out but i have a few road ditces and other corners to hunt seems like there is another public spot around maryville i hunted years ago got up a covey of birds not bilby its off of a blacktop to ?

The only other public spot that I can think of in that area is Seat Conservation area, which is a Quail emphasis area or something like that. It is still around 30 minutes east (close to Denver), but it can be decent. I always saw way more turkeys than anything else there, but I haven't hunted it in a few years.

Jason

pheasant forecast out for Mo. by the MDC and in the northwest its up from last year. A hope that it will be better than last year. Good job to everyone as we have made this post 3 pages and usually the Mo section is dead.

Zeepo

pheasant forecast out for Mo. by the MDC and in the northwest its up from last year. A hope that it will be better than last year. Good job to everyone as we have made this post 3 pages and usually the Mo section is dead.

Zeepo

Zeepo..where did you find that MO pheasant forecast? I looked all over the MDC website and could not find it.

mo

zeep lets go hunting togeather sometime we can go to mo or ks doesnt matter i like to try some of those public spots on a down day from work what do you do during the weekday

Its in the hunting section under small game, first article 2009 pheasant report. They should have the quail forecast posted soon.

Zeepo

i hunt only ca areas, so with the youth deer season, i will go to Whetstone, it is closed to the youngin's. found a few covies there last season. it does get a little pressure opening day. I will be up around kirksville the second weekend, aim to go to either Rebel cove, Locust creek, union ridge.
Nov 16-20th hope to be in kansas around Nortonand Glen elder

I hunted those areas years ago 10-15, do you see much grouse in the woody area? I went up there twice just to hunt them and was able to flush and kill one. I wish I would have mounted it but at the time I didnt know better but it sure was good eating, all white meat.

only a pointer, would love to hunt with you just need the time to do it. I have all my weekend-hoilday Hays tripped booked for now, but weekday hunts are open.

The quail report is up I cant open it, anyone else have better luck?
zeepo

Back