Missouri Opener

My friend hunts the Norton area and always does good on the pheasants but in the last couple years not so much on the quail. I have no first hand experience in that area but if you drop a little further south I think you may have better luck on quail. I have hunted southern Osborn county a lot and could tell you some spots were I have had good luck on quail. Around Webster lake east to Wilson lake is a where I normally hunt and see good population of quail. You are right about Missouri, when the MDC had its forum there was all kinds of guys that hunted birds. now its only us few lone die hards, thats why its great to keep the forum going. I did talk to the agent for Pony Express and he did say he was seeing birds and I have experience in that part of the state as my friend owns 500 acres 6 miles from there and he is seeing more birds. Will know next Sunday.
NWMOGSP
I have not NE KS in 5 years but when I did around Perry lake was always good. I also did good on WI land that was butted up to the Missouri River. I would walk the trees right on the river and always say lots of birds. There was WI below Athinson and above Doniphan that nI would hunt but do not know if they are still in or not.

Zeepo

due to youth deer season i will be at Wheatstone, deer hunt' is not allowed there during the youth season, place will probably have a few hunters good luck to all

Zeepo,

It doesn't look like there is any WI land next to the river any more, but will keep that in mind in future years just in case. The only place like that that I saw is Benedictine Bottoms, but it is draw only hunting, and I did not get drawn. I am going out Sunday in MO, but I am not sure where I am headed yet. I know I don't want to go to Bilby early because of the crowds, but might go up there later in the day if I don't have any luck anywhere else. I have not hunted Pony Express, but it sounds like it might be worth a try. Do you know if it is open for youth deer season? There are a couple of other Conservation Areas that I was considering, but since youth season is this weekend also, I have ruled them out.

Setterbud,
Good luck at Whetstone, let us know how you do.

Jason

Benedictine bottoms was a favorite of mine when it was privately owned. I used to pound the birds in there, both pheasants and quail. I do not knoe if Pony Express is open to the youth deer season. You could go to Bob Brown CA I have done well there and its pretty open.

zeepo

SDC10199.jpg

Went to Whetstone got into two covies, we got hot and tired. I am getting older every year and when the temp gets in the 60's i really wear out, dogs got hot and tired, they were really on them early. it was good to hear some others shooting, i drove arounda little bit and saw 7 more vehicles, in only ran in to one group while i was hunting

Buddy on point,
SDC10201.jpg

buddy and ellie (she is on the left hard to see)on point
SDC10200.jpg

Ellie brought back one
SDC10199.jpg

Crops were in all around the property we hunt, saw 10 pheasants and 1 covey of quail. Heard shots but there was some youth deer hunters around and I think waterfowl hunters as well. Hunted untill 2 could not tae the heat after that.

Gary

I hunted Bilby with one of my buddies and another guy who just bought his first bird dog and his friend. We saw 3 covey of quail 5 roosters and 12 hens. We started at daylight and hunted until noon. There was quite a bit of shooting around us. There were several duck hunters on the small ponds so I dont know if they were doing the shootin or if it was pheasant hunters. The fields were pretty crowded we had to change our game plan a couple of times due to other hunters. It was a pretty good day just hot and crowded. I was glad to see more quail this year.

70's is not good not a good weekend went to Rebel Cove and Union ridge on sat didn't see a thing hunted three hours Sun morn at Locust again didn't se nuthin' worse thing at rebels cove and union ridge did not hear any shooting are see another bird hunter at locaust creek seen one vehicle with a dog box might have head shooting once it was a ways off

Back