Mid-season boots?

LoneRooster

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I normally use my Setter Muck Boots once the snow hits the ground but I want a lightweight pair of boots that are also waterproof to wear in the early-midseason when the ground may be wet or it may be raining. Something comfortable but durable and waterproof is key as well as being light weight. I usually use a pair of columbias but they were not that waterproof and after a recent walk my feet were pretty wet from heavy dew. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm a Danner boot fan. Lots of models with Gortex waterproofing. High priced but long lasting.

I have yet to find a boot with Gor-Tex or any similar membrane that is 100% waterproof. It seems that in wet grass or wet snow, when your boots are subjected to constant moisture, that even the best boots with Gor-Tex still get wet.

I'm a Danner boot fan. Lots of models with Gortex waterproofing. High priced but long lasting.

I just bought a pair of all leather pronghorns.

Love them!

Haven't been able to test the waterproofness of them yet, but I think they will do just fine.

George...I second the remark about wet snow or rain and wet feet.

Some of the boot mfg. are starting to add an extra layer of "stuff" to the front part of the boot. Red Wing sells a goopy material that you can slather on the toe portion. Have not tried it as yet; I use Sno-Seal: heat the boot and the stuff, let it sink in.

Have used low hiking boots for the past 10 years, along with a low gaiter - seems to work OK, although I'm not hunting wet swamps.

I bought a pair of Iron Ridge boots from Cabelas a few years with 800 thinsulate for winter. They are just about the most comfortable boots I've worn next to the Red Wings I wear for work. They've now come out with an uninsulated version that I'm going to pick up this week. They're a 9" boot and weigh about 7lbs. They may be heavier than most people like, but they offer good ankle support and the weight doesn't bother me much because I wear boots everyday. The other nice thing is they won't break the bank, they're under $150 and are waterproof.

What BritChaser said. I have a pair of Danners with thinsolate and they are lite, comfortable and waterproof, even in rain. They ain't cheap but the good ones are American made.

Bogs

I've tried a ton of boots for hunting and hiking including ones with Gore Tex. They all seem to leak slightly or get damp in the heavy morning dew or rainy conditions. I've also tried the sprays and waxes. I have Bogs and I wear them year round for hiking/hunting/shoveling. The mid height are light and comfortable and 100% waterproof. Paired with waterproof pants and your legs and feet stay dry in any conditions. Not fashionable but they work. I can walk all day in them:

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/61142-001.html

I have yet to find a boot with Gor-Tex or any similar membrane that is 100% waterproof. It seems that in wet grass or wet snow, when your boots are subjected to constant moisture, that even the best boots with Gor-Tex still get wet.

A big amen to that. I have never understood the gortex hype. Ive never had a pair of boots, other than rubber boots, that didnt leak at some point. Ive gone all natural applying nothing, waterproofing sprays, waxing, theyve all leaked. Frustrating

I bought a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooter's last season. I wore them last weekend at a local preserve and my feet were soaked. Enough that when I took the boots off and turned them upside down water ran out the boots... Pretty frustrated since I don't have time to break in a new pair before the trip to SD...

Walker......
I also purchased a new pair of the Irish Setter wingshooter boots last year.
They leaked rather soon as well. My thought is that they now install their own version of waterproof liner called ultradry.......As my boots were not Goretex.....
I have never had any issues with boots that have true Goretex brand.

This year I purchased on sale for $79.00 at BassPro.......the Red Head Uplander II boots.......very pleased and no leaking or other issues. Very comfortable and keep my feet dry

see link: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Upla...54/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL#chart-container

I'm on my second pair of Danner Pronghorns. The first pair was the most comfortable, but the toe wore out in the heavy grass. The second pair has a toe cap, but the insole isn't near as comfortable. Dad has the same setup, and agrees on the comfort. Cabela's sells the Danner "Classic" Pronghorn without the toecap. The first pair I had was the most comfortable hunting boot I've ever worn. The second pair isn't bad, just not as good.

For a little cooler weather, I've got a pair of 200 gram thinsulate USA made Danners, forget the model. Bought them 'as new in box' at better than half off of new price. There is no question they're a lot better built boot than the imported Pronghorns. Very comfortable for my oddball foot as well.

Next boots I buy will either be the Meindl Lite Hunters or I might spring for a pair of Russell Moccasins.

Dad has some Meindl Perfekt Hunters (way too much boot for the pheasant fields) and Meindl hikers. He wears the hikers daily to work and says they're the best pair of shoes he has ever owned. Spendy, but comfortable.

Take a look at my other post on the crispi's, I highly recommend Asolo TPS or GTX boot line. Made for hiking super supportive and I have never been we in them, ever. I routinely stand in creeks filling water jugs while climbing or helping people across and unless it goes over the top it aint gettin in

Rocky Outback. Haven't been a fan of Rocky boots other than these. They are perfect warm/cool weather boots, light comfortable and mine are waterproof to this day over 15 yrs later.

They are worn out, beat to hell but are still waterproof.The key is I treat them with bees wax and Obenaufs heavy duty. Changes the look as they are a sort of suede but I could care less.

Back