mid January quail/pheasant hunt to north central Ks. ( staying in Lucas ). Bringing 3 Brittany's and a Lab.

Can anyone recommend a vet in Lucas or surrounding area ? Would like to have one or two names just in case ( birddogs being birddogs )

Shotgun shell question. I carry a Berretta 686 20 ga. and a 20 ga. SS , I don't normally have the opportunity to shoot quail and pheasant in the same day, I realize depending on the cover its not necessarily going to happen but what loads do you typically carry ?

Have done that trip from TN 11 times. As stated , birds will be spotty. We have rented a house in Lucas before. Good area to base out of given the amount of WHIA within a 50 mile radius. There will be lots of areas that are just cut wheat or milo. You have to get out of the truck and see what's beyond the road front. Woody cover , even places that look like more of a place to put a deer stand will be quail ish. As stated , roosters will be wild but will find a few willing to hold here or there. Knocking on doors there is tough. Lots of nice farmsteads with nobody living there.

Have done that trip from TN 11 times. As stated , birds will be spotty. We have rented a house in Lucas before. Good area to base out of given the amount of WHIA within a 50 mile radius. There will be lots of areas that are just cut wheat or milo. You have to get out of the truck and see what's beyond the road front. Woody cover , even places that look like more of a place to put a deer stand will be quail ish. As stated , roosters will be wild but will find a few willing to hold here or there. Knocking on doors there is tough. Lots of nice farmsteads with nobody living there.
What do you shoot ? What loads ?

Im a #5 for Pheasants and a 7.5-8 for quail. Honestly I dig through the top of the dog box and whatever is rolling around that I grab first. Also , If you have hunted the upper midwest , ks is a different deal as far as water goes. You better carry every ounce the dogs and you need.

Where I hunt in Kansas we have an equal opportunity in finding pheasants and quail on the same property. I use # 6 shot . Adequate for pheasant and doesn’t beat up the quail too much.

What do you shoot ? What loads ?
Mid January roosters on public land in Kansas often get up very wild. Around Lucas, you are likely to get into more quail than pheasants, but if you want to target pheasants that late in the season, I'd bring something bigger than 6s.

Back