Mentored hunt pictures

519vx

This Saturday, I had the chance to mentor some new to the sport pheasant hunters in a Learn to Hunt program. The program was sponsored by the Wisconsin DNR, Pheasants Forever, Cabelas, and Wern Valley Sportmans Club.

It was a GREAT event! The new hunters ranged from probably 12 years old to middle-agers and there was at least one woman participant. Everything from pheasants and pheasant biology, state game laws, safe gun handling and carrying, demo's of flushing dogs and pointing dogs and how they hunted, basic dog training, etc was all covered. They also got 10 rounds of trap shooting, had a wonderful catered lunch, then got to go out pheasant hunting.

I volunteered as a hunt mentor. My job was to accompany the new hunter in the field and help them during the hunt with things like positioning, when to shoot, etc. My new hunter was a guy in his mid 20s. We were paired with another mentor and my new hunter's friend who was also in his 20s. They put us with a dog handler. Our handler had two GSPs.

The hunt club put out 3 roosters for each new hunter. The dogs flushed all six birds but the new hunters only got shooting at 3 of them. They got all three birds!!!

The smiles and excitement on their faces was GREAT. I would strongly encourage you if you ever have the chance to volunteer at one of these learn to hunt events. It was very rewarding, and we have a couple new pheasant hunters in Wisconsin! Below are a few pictures of the hunt. The tall guys with black are the new hunters:

Pre-hunt meeting to go over safety.

The hunt is on!

[/IMG]

GSP on point! ROOSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/IMG]

Happy guys with their birds!

Last edited:
I am sure that was a great experience for both you and the kids. I have had the opportunity to do that a couple times and it was a good experience for me. Good on you for giving of your time:thumbsup:

My boys participated in a youth hunt through Pheasants Forever a few years back, and I thought that was really cool. But, being able to take adults out with experienced hunters and dogs, with a few birds is very cool too. It would be pretty intimidating for somebody to strike out on their own, especially if they hadn't grown up in a hunting family or didn't have friends to take them along.

We think about the 'future of hunting' largely in terms of introducing kids to the sport. I never really thought too much about introducing adults. They're the ones with the money too.

Back