Maximillian Sunflower

landman

I've heard recent reports that some neighboring landowners don't like the Maximillian sunflower in CRP seeding plans because they feel that it may spread to pastures and ditches and become uncontrollable. Also heard from some hunters who say that it hard to hunt in because it stands 7 to 8 feet tall and can impede walking and shooting. I've also heard that there may even be a county in SD that is considering putting it on their noxious weed list.

However, my own experience with the Maximillian Sunflower in CRP is mostly positive. While it is hard to hunt in sometimes the birds and deer seem to love it and therefore tend to congregrate in thicker stands of it. While it looks like the sunflower weed from a distance the plant has differences when studied up close. For one, it is a perrenial and the flowers grow all along the stem. According to the USDA publications the plant is also grazed by cattle and wildlife such as deer whereas the weed form is not.

Some of the newer CRP seeding plans, such as the CP 25, have the Maximillian Sunflower in it and the seed cost runs about $35 to $50 per pound. It is native to the Western US and Canada and usually flowers in late September to ealy October. All of the flowers are gone by the first week of pheasant hunting season.

Have any of you had any habitat or hunting experience with this plant?

LM

Last edited:
"neutered"

I have read somewhere that some of the perennial seeds in the CRP mix are effectively neutered. I am not sure the technical agronomy term for it but I think what it means is that the seeds you plant will flower like a perennial but the seeds that the flower produces after maturing and flowering are not able to spread and replant themselves once they hit the ground. If it is true then technology is a wonderful thing and the surrounding landowners should be happy to hear the news.

All I know is that pheasants seem to love sunflowers whether they are neutered or not.:cheers:

Here is a link to the plant-

http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/doc/pg_hema2.doc

One thing to note is that it does have a rhizome root system and will spread that way. I dig up clumps of the rhizomes to transplant started plants to areas that I want to establish them, including around my house.

The seeds are very tiny, maybe an 1/8 to 3/16" long.

Landman, I had planted some in a GFP grass project but haven't seen much. I like them in CRP because of the diversity and late season cover factor.

I have seen a lot of native sunflowers due to moisture this spring, is that the same plant as the maximillion?

They are a good plant. If you think they are getting too thick, grazing will reduce them. Cattle graze them, bison won't. Good to see you again Landman! There are many species of sunflowers. This one is a perennial, others are annuals. In general, I want lots of them around for pheasants.

Farmers complaining????? Whats up with that.

I have had it in my CRP for 7 years and havent had to chop one out of a ditch or my pasture(which is right by some MSF) yet.

Has anyone else seen how the deer love them in late summer, early fall?? They clip them off at the base.

Back