Mason City Area

kanstiss

Hello,

I'm thinking about hitting Mason City to stay at a friends overnight on my way to Spirit Lake Iowa. Anyone do any bird hunting in that general area? Any suggestions?

Yes, hunted up there a few weeks ago. Public cover is great this year and no snow. Head west of town--many places to hunt.

Good hunting:)

Last edited:
I've been up that way this year and like KB said, some decent ground in the area. Those birds are pretty wise by now though as well... that area gets hunted pretty hard (at least when I've been there). Assuming you have a pooch, you'll find a bird or two. :) Best wishes!

Yes I have a first year dog. I'm getting tired of not seeing anything in the Dubuque area. I want to give him a little bit better odds. Since the human population seems scarce that way I was hoping the ground wasn't pressured too hard.

I hear ya... I'm driving a minimum of an hour or two every hunt this year as well (from BH County). Making a drive each hunt is the best thing I talked myself into. ;) The beauty this time of year is that the fair weather hunters have put away their guns in favor of other things inside where it's warmer. You will find birds in that area. Best wishes!!

Back