Managing for Huns?

My grandfather told me about huns in WI. When they grew lots of wheat and oats there were lots of huns and almost no pheasants. Very few farms now grow those crops but I know of a couple near me that do and they have a couple coveys of huns. As a kid we had a covey and whenever I would see them they were right by the mailbox. Used to scare the beejeezus out of my city dweller mom.

Wheat, oats, short prairie grasses. They like to run and be able to see I think. Pheasants like to sneak. Maybe cackle birds hear better? Don't know.

My grandfather told me about huns in WI. When they grew lots of wheat and oats there were lots of huns and almost no pheasants. Very few farms now grow those crops but I know of a couple near me that do and they have a couple coveys of huns. As a kid we had a covey and whenever I would see them they were right by the mailbox. Used to scare the beejeezus out of my city dweller mom.
They're really cool little birds. About 17-18 years ago, during my brief tenure in central Iowa, I was out pheasant hunting south of Ogden the day after a few inches of pure powder. A covey of 7 or 8 flew across the road in front of me & lit about 40-50 yds out in the field. I slowed down just to look & simultaneously they all gave about 2 really quick wing beats & completely disappeared under the snow. Not a trace to be seen. Pretty neat.

I grew up in Southern Michigan, my Grandfather remembered when the DNR released Hun's in the forties. Plus they provided local farmers with eggs which were then placed under Bantam hens for the hatch, the Hun's would 'leave' as they matured. At least in the area he lived , Eaton County they flourished for several years then disappeared (died out). Reintroduction was tried again in the 'Thumb' I believe in the 90's with no results. Having hunted them in N.D., Wyoming,Montana and I living in Idaho for 13 years. I can see where Michigan wasn't a good choice for Hun's. I lived again in Michigan 2019/2020 before moving to Nevada. The number of egg eating predators there is unbelievable. Its amazing any ground nesting birds survive in Michigan.

I've only hunted them a couple seasons. We were finding them in chukar country of ID, OR, and WA. I was surprised. We were in rocky, arid areas and it was 50-50 huns vs chukar. They seemed to be as adept at the rocky, steep terrain as the chukar. All that I had seen on tv and read about regarding huns was about mostly flat grasslands. Anyone that has hunted chukar aches for finding good upland game on the flat. When my friend said we'd go hunt some huns, I figured some easy flatland walking. LOL.
Chucker hunting is a workout!

A little update from my corner of the field.

Plans have come about to head west to Idaho, Hell's Canyon in a few weeks (Oct 10-17). Happened to have friends with plans/accommodations/gate keys/scouting all set up, and we have family in Boise my wife is flying out to see, I will be driving with the dog and gun. Leaving at the start of IA hun season, where I've been seeing covey after covey in our mowed waterways and ditches. Why not make the hunt a little more grueling? Ha. At least the views will top Iowa's rolling hills (which I also love), and a lot more crops will be out when I return.

Back