Man vs Dog

pheasantaddict

I like to rough house with the dogs in the back yard, especially when there's snow. Today, I slipped and fell backwards at the same time Dolf was jumping at me. Would have been no big deal, but I fell onto a small pointed boulder that I use for landscape edging. I landed on my lower spine(it hurt a little), but could still laugh as I limped back to the house. I've had a shiner and chipped a tooth, though have never been seriously hurt. Wondering has anyone else got hurt by their dog? Sometimes I miss playing football and today brought back good memories.

back in 1958, I had a GSP, named Brandy. He was given to me and I was between dogs so I kept him. My wife had a Baby our first son. I went bowling this one night and when I came home Shirl was sleeping on the couch with the baby between her and the back of the couch. I could see all this through the front door window. Brandy was sleeping lengthwise to the couch. I quietly opened the door and slipped in, as I closed the door. Brandy came flying at me, one grand leap, and hit me in the chest. My back was sore for days from the slam I got against the door. I did nothing to Brandy, I didn't know I had a watch dog of that caliber. He turned out to be Shirl guardian, I didn't have to worry about her and the baby when I was away.

I had a beagle the just died, He would postion himself between my newphews (as babies) and the adult in the room. As you would move so would he. Never hurt anyone but alway keep an eye on you in the room. If the babies fussed at night he would come and wake you up.
Now I have a lab that loves my 6 yr old daughter. That lab loves that kid more then me. I'm the one to feed her and exercise her, but she will run to my daughter before me. Strange how they get that bond with kids and moms.:cool:

My cab dogs were so excited about getting out of the truck, that 2 90 pound dogs slammed against my knee. This was a couple years ago, Winter so I had time to heal before Fall. Now they have been taught to not leave the cab without my OK.

Wrastling

I like wrastling with my dogs too and the dogs seem to like it more than I do. I've often wondered if this is good practice as far as training and such. I'm sure some pro trainers would say it is not a good idea but we have too much fun. Plus I train them to "Be nice" to let them know we are done wrastling and they have to behave. I have used this command in other situations, seems like every dog comes across another dog or a stranger that they don't particularly like.

I cannot remember any time being injured. I get an occasional nip from roughing up my terrior, but I've lost a few shirts and a couple of pants from him trying to get even with my rough play.

Im trying to think if I was even a dirty thought in my fathers mind back in 1958...........14...........Probably not

Bob....you win for best story!

My dogs are very playful. I love to horse around with them, but I agree you have to maintain some type of control regarding jumping up on you as if they jump up on you, they will do so on anyone including children and that's not acceptable.
The pups like to do that quick thing were they run at you, jump up and hit you in the jewels and are just as quickly gone. I think it is an invitation to play tag, but it hurts!!! so I discourage it while wearing a grin.
I run four to six dogs in the AM and had a trail thru the high grass in a pasture wherre I once lived. I stopped and was kneeling down to adjust my sox or boot in the trail when I got knocked out for a brief period. I could not figure out what had happened initially, but soon realized Ace had barreled down the trail at high speed and clobered me while in the low position. They still tear down the grass trails in the late spring and summer, but I am a little more wary. They have taken my knees out on numerous occasions however.
________
Grape ape marijuana strain

Last edited:
Those are some good stories. I've been side swiped a few times. Uncle Buck, were the pheasants thick as ticks back in 1958 in SD? Did you have a dog and sxs back then?

Well, it's been a long time since this story came up in my family. Here's one about how a pup almost ended up on the wrong side of my stupidity.

Our dog of choice when I was grade school was the cocker spaniel. Of course, the dog was usually a mixed breed living in a small town when confinement laws were unheard of. Anyway, our cocker gave birth to a litter of pups in the early spring.

One day when the pups were old enough to romp around the yard, one of the pups followed me to the creek. I started teasing the pup and went to far. My nudging forced the pup into the creek. Well, the spring thaw was going on and the creek was running pretty fast. The pup could not swim against the current. I guess I really didn't think about whether I could withstand the current or not, but I jumped in after the pup. The current took us down stream a short distance, but I was able to grab the pup and pull us out of the water.

The pup had taken in water and was not breathing. I ran back to the house with the pup screaming for my parents. Dad came out and immediately gave the pup mouth to mouth resuscitation. The pup was small enough that Dad put his mouth around the whole snout of the pup. A few breaths and a few squeezes around the chest, and the pup started breathing again.

The pup turned out fine. It was a story that made it around the family, friends and the town. People were just amazed that Dad was able to resuscitate the pup.

That was fortunate for me - both at the time and for a lesson learned.

Ya, they were thick. The limit was five.
I started with a Winchester 34, single shot .410 graduated to a 20ga. 870 at 13 and got my first double, a Grulla 12 that my Dad purchased in Spain when there on a trip he won wholesaling Schlitz beer. There were no duties and the gun cost $130 in '64 under those circumstances. They asked what he had in the box at customs and he said "a shotgun" and they did not even have him open the box. Brand new today the gun would cost +$4,000. Those were the days. The gun does show many days use, but is still a good "shooter".
________
Babi Mac Breakaway

Last edited:
Back