M2 compact

pheasantaddict

I bought a M2 compact youth model for the wife and future family members tonight. Seems like a real nice gun and I will use it for ducks and backup pheasant gun. Anxious to try it out. Will have to wait a while to get a sxs, but the wife is happy.;)

I just picked up a box of prairie storm steel for my 20ga. I've never shot non tox before but where I'm going for Thanksgiving requires it, hope it performs well.

We hunt all public land until December, this year I've had real good luck with black cloud close range 3" 1 1/4 oz #4's in 12 ga. 100% fs pellets great patterns around 25 yards. I've shot 25+ roosters this year with them and only had 2 not finished when the dog retrieves them ( one real bad, human error!) so I don't see why they wouldn't work in 20ga 3" 1oz of 2's or 4's

We hunt all public land until December, this year I've had real good luck with black cloud close range 3" 1 1/4 oz #4's in 12 ga. 100% fs pellets great patterns around 25 yards. I've shot 25+ roosters this year with them and only had 2 not finished when the dog retrieves them ( one real bad, human error!) so I don't see why they wouldn't work in 20ga 3" 1oz of 2's or 4's

That's good to hear. PS steel should be about the same load I would think. How is feather draw with that weird saturn shaped shot?

I've only found 2 pellets so far from all the birds with the close range, it does pull some feathers in. I've shot a few with heavy metal 3" 1 1/4oz #4's and see a lot of the hevi shot still in the bird, seems backwards but the pellets are a lot smaller than the steel 4's. I'm trying to find a box of prairie storm steel to try also, if I remember right they are 50/50 fs. Last year I used black cloud 60/40 mix and my son would have to really wait even with an IC choke because the patterns were so tight, which made follow up shots really tough and at long ranges. Most of last year I had to shoot IM because of this.

I got a rooster over a point using the M2 today. I had Praire Storm steel 3" #3's 7/8 oz for the first shot and Black Cloud 3" #2 1oz for back up. Hit the rooster on the 1st shot. The bird had his landing gear out and was ready to run. (poor shot by me) The bird ran about 15 ft and was stone cold dead. I have never had this happen before. Want to see how these loads handle ducks. Nice little gun though.

Kent Tungsten Matrix

Kent Tungsten Matrix 3 inch #5 is what I'm planning to use if/when I pheasant hunt public land in the future. It gives you a payload of 1 1/8 oz and more pellets than a 3 inch #2 or #3 load. But, the price could really add up quick if you're hunting public land quite a bit.

Kent Tungsten Matrix 3 inch #5 is what I'm planning to use if/when I pheasant hunt public land in the future. It gives you a payload of 1 1/8 oz and more pellets than a 3 inch #2 or #3 load. But, the price could really add up quick if you're hunting public land quite a bit.

Tried to find the TM but didn't see any 20ga. If I find them in 2 3/4" 1oz I'll buy some for my trip but I don't think I want to shoot a 1 1/8oz load in my 20ga.

Tried to find the TM but didn't see any 20ga. If I find them in 2 3/4" 1oz I'll buy some for my trip but I don't think I want to shoot a 1 1/8oz load in my 20ga.

Try the URL above (Deleted URL/Link 6-20-14). It looks like they have the 2 3/4" 1 oz load in stock.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a box of PS steel to shoot but if I find some TM at bass pro on my way up I may buy some.

I patterned the 3" #5 load out of a BUL 20 gauge and don't remember the recoil being too much for shooting a few shots at roosters or ducks during a hunt. If that's your main concern with the 1 1/8 oz load it may be worth shooting the 3" #5 and 2 3/4" #5 loads against each other to gauge the difference in felt recoil.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Its not a recoil issue as Ca pheasant hunting is not a target rich environment but a pattern issue. My 20ga just doesn't pattern well throwing more than 1oz of shot or high velocity stuff, in fact my favorite first shot for wild roosters is 7/8oz of 7.5s @1220 out of an ic choke. If the dogs do their job and I do mine that load equals a bird dead in the air every time.:cheers:

Back