lunch on the hunt

Bob Peters

For those who tend to travel a bit to hunt and make a day or multiple day trip out of it, I'm wondering what you pack for provisions and how you do lunch or meals during a day of hunting. I've generally made cold sandwiches, but on the last hunt with a buddy I brought a portable grill and made cheeseburgers in a WPA parking lot. It was really nice to have a hot burger to eat between spots. Although this may seem like it's time consuming, it saved me from having to find a town to stop in for grub. It was also a nice little rest for the dogs. Any good grilling recommendations or favorite food/snacks while pheasant hunting please post.

Ski pop, trail bologna, and Amish Swiss cheese. Some crackers. And don’t forget the mustard, it helps with leg cramps too

For those who tend to travel a bit to hunt and make a day or multiple day trip out of it, I'm wondering what you pack for provisions and how you do lunch or meals during a day of hunting. I've generally made cold sandwiches, but on the last hunt with a buddy I brought a portable grill and made cheeseburgers in a WPA parking lot. It was really nice to have a hot burger to eat between spots. Although this may seem like it's time consuming, it saved me from having to find a town to stop in for grub. It was also a nice little rest for the dogs. Any good grilling recommendations or favorite food/snacks while pheasant hunting please post.
I have a portable grill and typically do hotdogs, sausages, etc. Last weekend I took some ribs I smoked, wrapped them in foil, and warmed them up. Last year when my wife came along she made tacos in a crock pot inside the truck while I was hunting.

Usually just good quality sandwiches. My brother in law smokes up some awesome beef and slices it up for sandwich fixings. Lots of water and some cookies for dessert. Works well for us.

Things that are quick/easy to store in the truck or cooler, make quickly in the field, pre-package ahead of time, easy to eat while driving from spot to spot, or easy to pack in your pouch if you are walking a large piece for a full day. I'm also a bit of a health/fitness/nutrition person, so I'm also going to avoid a lot certain foods when on multi-day day long hunts, and focus in foods that will provide the energy I need. And then also lots and lots of water, more than you think you need - especially in the morning when you wake, before bed, and overnight.

This past week for my South Dakota trip, I brought with:
Bread, Ham, Turkey, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Mayo
Bread, Peanut Butter, Jelly
Yogurt Cups
Assortment of different fruits
Assortment of different veggies and dip
Trail Mix, Nuts
Granola Bars
String Cheese
Jerky
Meat Sticks

For this trip, we had breakfast and dinner at local restaurants. So I focused on a large, well-rounded breakfast each morning and a nice protein/carb heavy dinner in the evenings.

I have also done trips where I bring along the portable grill for an afternoon lunch break; or the grill, electric skillet, or crockpot to make breakfast and/or dinner in the motel.

I have a 2000 watt inverter in my truck, I run an extension cord to my tailgate and plug in the George foreman electric grill. It’s hot in about 8 minutes and can cook anything a bbq grille can cook. I personally enjoy slapping a sandwich on there and closing the lid. It heats the meat, melts the cheese and leaves the bread toasted and warm. Hot lunch in under 12 minutes and after unplugging it, it’s cool to the touch in another 5 minutes to put away.

We typically eat on the fly between spots consisting of sandwich and some chips or cheese chunks. Some days a nice warm lunch would be nice. We make up for it at breakfast and dinner with some great home cooked food for both!

One of my favorites is pheasant salad sandwiches.
This.

We’re fortunate to have a house with a crock pot. We use legs and thighs with carrot/celery/onions/spices/broth until meat falls off the bones.

Get rid of the tendons. Then make excellent pheasant salad sandwiches.

our friends up there say they make a good lunch in the combine

Last edited:
For those who are interested, here's our Pheasant Salad recipe from the Camp cookbook.

Pheasant Salad Sandwiches
After reading all of these recipes calling for pheasant breast, you have to be wondering what we do with the legs and thighs. A great way to make the most of those is to make Pheasant Salad Sandwiches.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 people

Ingredients/Shopping list

10 Pheasant legs and 10 thighs
1 can chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 bunch of celery
2 onions
1 carrot
¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary

2 hard-boiled eggs
2-3 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 Tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
Dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper

Carefully wash and inspect the pheasant legs and thighs. Remove all feathers, shot and blood clots. Probe shot holes to ensure no feathers or shot are embedded.

Put the legs and thighs in a crockpot or large saucepan, add the chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 2 ribs of celery coarsely chopped, ½ an onion coarsely chopped, 1 carrot coarsely chopped, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves, ¼ teaspoon of poultry seasoning, ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary and 1/8th teaspoon of black pepper. Add water to cover pheasant pieces and simmer until meat easily pulls off the bone. Drain and cool (you can save the stock for Pheasant Noodle Soup). Remove meat from bones, removing tendons at the same time and then dice into small ¼ inch pieces. Chill in refrigerator.

Finely chop ½ cup celery, the 2 hard boiled eggs and ½ cup onion; the pieces should be about the size of the diced pheasant.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the pheasant, celery, onions, 2 Tablespoons of sweet relish, 4 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing, ¼ teaspoon of poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. When well mixed, gently stir in the chopped eggs. Use more or less Mayonnaise to make it as “wet” as you like. Chill it all in the refrigerator before serving.

It is excellent on whole grain bread, either fresh or toasted. We have used it as an hors de oeuvre on crackers. We sometimes add a few shots of hot sauce when serving on crackers to spice things up.

I always carry a small weber grill in my truck as part of its EDLO (Everyday load-out), among many other items. If I'm heading out on a long day or multi-day adventure, I will provision with groceries and such, or we can find a grocery store. This is all in addition to if I've got the travel trailer.

We also like to carry smoked salmon (hot smoked/kippered), apples, a sharp cheese (WSU's Cougar Gold is preferred), and some wheat crackers and/or summer sausage. Costcos individual trail mix packs are for some reason inexplicably good...I mean, it's trail mix, I can't explain why it's so damn good. Dried apricots are also a favorite.

For the grill, it's hot dogs (good ones), hamburgers, or even a grocery store pork tenderloin in some sort of a marinade.

Hot Cider, Coffee, La Croix, and then beer, hard cider, or whiskey for when the shooting stops.

And of course a good marrow bone and a supply of food for the pooch - she'll also get a couple of morsels of cheese.

I use ground beef or ground venison to make burritos in the field. I bring along a Coleman stove and cook on the tailgate of the truck. Brown the ground meat, add a can of beans and a package of spices. Serve on tortillas.

It is quick and easy to fix and hits the spot.

This time of year there just doesnt seem like enough sunlight to kill an hour + breaking out all the fixins. Snackin is the way to go for me

A leisurely, leg-resting lunch is essential for this old guy. We always go to town somewhere and stay for 1.5 -2 hours.

This time of year there just doesnt seem like enough sunlight to kill an hour + breaking out all the fixins. Snackin is the way to go for me
I hear you on that. It often depends on how the day goes and the main consideration how the dog is doing. 4.5 year old retriever in good shape, but don't want to push her if we're busting through heavy cover all day. If there's long drives between spots I'll eat on the go and the dog gets a nap in the truck.

Tube of German summer sausage, wheat bread, marble Jack cheese, small packets of mayo that I pick up at gas station/hotel.
Fruit, water/Powerade zero. Chips. Lawn chair, small rug/mat for my dog to lay on with water and treats near by. Enjoy the silence.

Tube of German summer sausage, wheat bread, marble Jack cheese, small packets of mayo that I pick up at gas station/hotel.
Fruit, water/Powerade zero. Chips. Lawn chair, small rug/mat for my dog to lay on with water and treats near by. Enjoy the silence.
Yeah, summer sausage is a must.Cheese, and pepsi are also a must.Oh yeah, pbr...

Back