Lucky Duck dog kennel?

Brentbullets

Any one using one? I need to get a kennel for new dog and have been thinking about this one. Really like some of the features. Rogers has them on sale right now $100.00 off and covers are on sale also.

I have one and like it. Extremely well built. I got the LD cover and pad for it. It is a heavy kennel compared to Ruffland kennels, which for me is both good and bad. The Ruffland are much easier to carry in and out of motel rooms, so I normally leave the LD kennel in the back of my truck for the season and running hunt tests.

I won a Gunner, similar to a Lucky duck. I sold it as it was to cumbersome for a "portable" crate.
You may want to check out the Dakota 283 kennels. They are a great in-between kennel, more than a Ruffland and not quite a lucky duck.

I have 2 of the Lucky Duck kennels with the covers and I really like them. They are easy for me to move around by myself and are really well built. My son has a Dakota 283 kennel, and he likes it. The only thing I don't like is the tie down points on the lucky duck, I think they need to be a little bigger but that is just my opinion.

I'm trying to decide on a lucky duck, gunner, or a ruffland for my Brittany. Sizing between the 3 brands is super confusing. I worry about the durability of the Ruffland compared to the other two. The size of the gunner has me worried with the drawer system I have constructed for the bed of my truck too. Decisions, decisions.

I'm trying to decide on a lucky duck, gunner, or a ruffland for my Brittany. Sizing between the 3 brands is super confusing. I worry about the durability of the Ruffland compared to the other two. The size of the gunner has me worried with the drawer system I have constructed for the bed of my truck too. Decisions, decisions.
FWIW, I have used my Ruffland for several years and haven't had an issue related to durability. From a safety rating standpoint...car accident etc., the Gunner is probably the most rugged....but that comes at a cost....weight.

I have a Lucky Duck and a few Rufflands. If I am carrying a kennel in and out of motels...I take a Ruffland. I use the intermediate size in both brands for my GSP and Vizsla. The LD kennel is a bit larger than the Ruffland. The Ruffland will fit in the back seat of my Colorado. The Lucky Duck won't.

I have a female Brittany that is about 35-37 lbs and I use an intermediate Ruffland. Could probably get by with a medium but I like her having a little extra room. I wouldn't worry about durability, the Ruffland is tough and well made. Huge step up from a PetPorter. 😁

I should add that my kennel is in the back of my SUV.

Last edited:
My dog box sold yesterday finally, the guy I sold it to had an intermediate Ruffland in the back seat of his truck so I put my dog in it to see how he fit. Needless to say I ordered a Ruffland and a bunch of accessories when I got home with the money I got from the dog box. Thanks for your help.

I really like my Gunner. I have the Intermediate for my 70lb Lab. It fits really well in the back cab area of my 2023 GMC Sierra 1500. I really don't mind the extra weight of it. I have an older Mud River kennel cover for it if I need to wrap it for him to sleep in when it's really cold. I have a truck cap now and he can sleep in the back area if necessary. I can build him a soft and warm space back there if needed.

Attachments

• Gunner Kennel.jpg
    Gunner Kennel.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 4
I ended up ordering a Ruffland, could get all the accessories and kennel for the cost of a gunner and fit better in the bed of my truck with the storage system I have built. I tested out a medium Ruffland at Cabela's and my dog fit in it which is the picture I attached but I wanted a little extra room. The guy I sold my dog box to had an intermediate Ruffland in the back seat of his truck so I tried that out and if fit my dog well and the fact that we had the same truck and if fit perfectly in the back seat also really did it for me.

Attachments

• 20240614_172947.jpg
    20240614_172947.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
I have an intermediate Ruffland for my roughly 60 lb shorthair. It’s a little cramped. Nice kennel.

Back