Lottery

pheasantaddict

Well you just won the lottery, not the great big one but enough to buy 1800 acres give or take depending on where you buy your hunting paradise. Do you buy up one large tract of land? Do you buy up smaller parcels 160 or 320 acre plots? Do you buy land in just one state or one county? Do you target multiple upland birds or one or other wild game? Do you buy land next to other great hunting habitat or create your own little paradise? What state are you going to build your hunting destination?

Fun thread pheasantaddict;)

My dad and I often have conversations with this hypothetical. We've come to agree on SD. Something near or connected to public land areas. Do it right. Sections of cool seasons, sections of warm seasons, forbs, some mixed with all the above, shelter belts, an assortment of food plots, light cover areas for dusting, and wetlands if possible.

A real bird producer with all the resources to survive and thrive year-round.

The birds can utilize both public land and our lottery-land. Maybe put a nice sized section of it into public land too.

Some day:D:rolleyes:

Nick

With as little ag land as comes on the market, you would probably have to buy several parcels to acquire three sections. The mecca for pheasants are the Dakotas, so if that is your favorite bird . . .

Last edited:
Buy a couple of sections and have Pheasants Forever, DU and the the local ag guys help you manage it for birds. Buy big and contiguous then you can really manage it successfully. Share crop it with a farmer and leave part of your half in the field for cover and feed. Put in some ponds and shelter belts. There are Federal cost sharing programs to help on this. Putting some in CRP is an option. Post the Hell out of it.

Where? Kansas. Easy choice. Kansas has strict land trespassing laws. No road hunting like in SD. In Kansas you must have permission from the landowners on both sides of the road to shoot from it. You also must have written permission from the landowner to go on his land or you face trespassing charges which the state takes very seriously. The daily limit on roosters is four birds a day as opposed to 3 in other states. If your going to put that much money into it, you might as well optimize the shooting bag limits. As a bonus, on properly managed land you'll get great deer hunting and some nice duck and goose shooting in season. The weather has not been good lately but that's where water and shelter management can make a big difference on chick survival. Your plantings will provide the food and probably attract other local birds from the surrounding area.

I've thought (dreamed) about doing something like this for a long time. I lack only the money.

Reminds me of the farmer that won the lottery. The newspaper asked him what he was going to do with his winnings. "Reckon I'll just keep farming until its gone."

If I won the lottery, I would be looking for a ranch in elk country. Don't know where for sure. From New Mexico on the south to Idaho and Montana on the north.

stick21Oct200500084.jpg

I dunno...:confused:

If I were "lotto rich", I don't know that I would want to move to the heart of pheasant country. I can't imagine my wife's reaction when I said we were moving to a wheat field with our winnings. :laugh: Maybe more of a catch-all type of property would be nice though... Something where you could get a mixed bag of large game, upland birds of some type, waterfowl, and a variety of fishing. I think Byrd is on the right track. I think to uproot the MRS, it would take mountains and clear lakes...

Since I already own some acres that I don't live on, I can say for sure that I wouldn't want to be an absentee landowner of a huge tract. There's already so much work at my little place that's 1/2 hour away, I already feel like I don't put in the time there I wish I could... I can't imagine being hours and hours away, or even an airplane flight away and enjoying the land. Whatever I had, I would want it to be right out my back door so I could be there every day.

Spending the time out there, building the paradise, that's what's rewarding. If I was just going to live far away and hire someone else to do all of the work, then it would make more sense just to join a hunting club or something rather than buying the land. I don't even have to win the lottery for that! :laugh:

Great topic..I would buy the largest farm I could find right here in Pennsylvania and take almost all of it out of production..I would farm only what I needed to cover the expenses of putting in habitat! 1800 acres here in the pheasant belt would get it done, it would be like the good old days! Now if you would excuse me I have to go buy some lottery tickets!

Boy it's nice to dream! I think mine would be in one of the Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas in Pa., maybe alongside Mr. Applemans property. I would love to have have some small deep lakes and some wetland areas. Of course it would be heavily managed for pheasants, but I sure wouldn't mind some nice Whitetail bucks. Just a small cabin with electric and running water...dreaming!!!

Back