Lost all my Chinese Ringnecks

RomanianSkulll

I went out to my pen this afternoon and what I saw shocked me ! I lost all of my Chinese Ringnecks. They were around 8-9 weeks old. Lost about 24 of them. Heads and necks were damaged. I have some Melanistic Mutants that are 2weeks old at their starter pen. Now I have to reinforce the areas where the weasel got in and get aggressive on traps. Shaking my head !

ringnecks

Thank you ! I just purchased all of my material for the weasel boxes today. Had the wood. Purchased the wire, Victor rat traps (large yellow platform), screws, and drill bits. Makes me wonder ?

I went out to my pen this afternoon and what I saw shocked me ! I lost all of my Chinese Ringnecks. They were around 8-9 weeks old. Lost about 24 of them. Heads and necks were damaged.

Neck or throat? Maybe you saw the weasel? If not, consider putting a mink trap out too.

Did you find a hole where the Critters got in?

I lost all my pen pheasants a couple weeks ago had about 15, also had a few laying hens in the pen [chickens]. I have a good setup, so I thought. I feed/water and check the birds every few days. I get out there and one chicken alive. Couldn't figure out what or how the critter got in. All birds just eaten on a little bit. Mostly the head and insides.

I take the last chicken, put it into a live trap, closed. :confused:
Two leg hole traps wired to a cement block set on the outside the livetrap with the poor old chicken in it. [properly feed and watered]

This is all inside my enclosure. :eek: Next morning I have a 40 pound male raccoon in a leg hold. He sees me and tries to climb a post. [5X6]
I found the entry spot. Chicken wire attached the the header had lost a couple staples, the coon would go through, the te wire snap back into place, very hard to see and 12 feet off the ground.

OK, more to the story, the dead birds left in the pen had most all been eaten on again, quite a lot.:eek:. Set the trap again, next morning a large female [nursing] caught. Still more eaten on the dead birds. Next morning another large nursing female.

That was it, got em all. Fixed the hole and released to poor old chicken.
She must have had quite an experience.

Wow ! What a story/hassel ! Those coons are bad ! I did find the holes (two) where my bandits went through. At the bottom where the fence is buried. Very small holes. 1 1/2" . Looked like a entrance hole and a exit hole. My pheasants were chased from the east side of the pen and were almost all killed on the west side of the pen. Around 24 of them. All bit in the neck or tiny bite holes in the skull. I have one live trap set which I caught a baby possum in it a weeks ago. Now I am going to set my Duke Coon traps and build me some Weasel boxes this week. So frustrating !

Did you find a hole where the Critters got in?

I lost all my pen pheasants a couple weeks ago had about 15, also had a few laying hens in the pen [chickens]. I have a good setup, so I thought. I feed/water and check the birds every few days. I get out there and one chicken alive. Couldn't figure out what or how the critter got in. All birds just eaten on a little bit. Mostly the head and insides.

I take the last chicken, put it into a live trap, closed. :confused:
Two leg hole traps wired to a cement block set on the outside the livetrap with the poor old chicken in it. [properly feed and watered]

This is all inside my enclosure. :eek: Next morning I have a 40 pound male raccoon in a leg hold. He sees me and tries to climb a post. [5X6]
I found the entry spot. Chicken wire attached the the header had lost a couple staples, the coon would go through, the te wire snap back into place, very hard to see and 12 feet off the ground.

OK, more to the story, the dead birds left in the pen had most all been eaten on again, quite a lot.:eek:. Set the trap again, next morning a large female [nursing] caught. Still more eaten on the dead birds. Next morning another large nursing female.

That was it, got em all. Fixed the hole and released to poor old chicken.
She must have had quite an experience.
A weasel can snake thru a mousehole.

Had that happen to me with my chickens. Went and borrowed my friends fiest the next day and turned it loose to get it and got 2 of them. Haven't had a problem since.

Weasels in general will chew through their throats.

Mink will leave bite marks on their necks (usually at the base of the skull) and sometimes on their skull.

Coons get in and just start ravaging, tearing, and mauling birds and can do a lot of damage in one night.

Either one spells nothing but trouble for a pen of full of pheasants.

From what you're describing I would guess your pheasant killer is a Mink.

I've seen racoons in action all of my life, but never realized what voracious predators they can be. I was using quail to train a pup and after setting out 2 birds per day for 5 days I had a covey living on the training field. So I set out a callback pen with a male bird inside overnight. The next morning I go in to find a few feathers on the ground and can see where the predator pulled the bird through the fence, about 1" square wire pattern. Also could see bite marks on the rusty wire. It took a lot of dexterity and strength to catch that bird and rip it through the fence. Needless to say, I never saw any of those birds again.

A friend raised homing pigeons and quail to use for training. He was finding dead birds every day, laying on their stomachs with their innards chewed out. Finally trapped and killed the weasel that was doing the damage, but not before losing quite a few birds. Same as some of you, but he couldn't find where they were getting in.

We lost 70 birds (Pheasants and Chukers) that were half grown in one night last year. A fox dug over a foot down under the buried poultry netting. This year we are only raising Chukers and in a elevated pen that cost us over $500 to build. We have lost non to predators this year. We do have ducks in a ground pen but they are put away in a couple of duck houses before it gets dark. After dark, they would be history if not.

Had 2 portable call back pens with 16 birds in each pen. Got off work around 5, loaded up dogs and 1 pen of birds and headed out to training field. Got back home after dark and unloaded call back pen, noticed nothing was moving in the other pen. Back 16" of the pens are plywood with innertubes overlapped on top so I can catch quail as needed. Not thinking I stuck my hand in to make sure the quail were ok and I bet I jumped 2' in the air when I touched fur, scared the s:it out of me. Grabbed a flashlight and all I could see was dead quail bloodied and bitten around the neck. Tipped the pen up and shook it around and low and behold this half grown possum comes flying out snarling and hissing at me. I was really pissed by then. Ran to the house, grabbed a pistol and emptied the gun on it. My neighbor hollars over at me "did you get it, or do you need more bullets". He came over with a beer for me just laughing his a$$ off. He had been sitting on his back deck and saw the whole thing.

Not thinking I stuck my hand in to make sure the quail were ok and I bet I jumped 2' in the air when I touched fur, scared the s:it out of me. Grabbed a flashlight and all I could see was dead quail bloodied and bitten around the neck. Tipped the pen up and shook it around and low and behold this half grown possum comes flying out snarling and hissing at me

Okay dude. The whole part with you sticking your hand in there and feeling fur makes me squirm. That's enough to creep me out. I'm glad it wasn't a coon in there! Though I have to say, a giant rat like creature is not much better. lol

Used to lose chickens one or two a night,just the head chewed off until I hotwired every inch of the coop.That cut down on it a good bit.

Then one time I was missing a yardbird,or two a week,sat up trailcam and got some great pics of the culprit, a cute little harmless-looking Springer Spaniel bitch,mine.Found them all again when the snow melted,but they weren't as useful as before.

Tell you what 1phez, that incident is forever etched into my mind.:eek: After it's over you realise what a dumba$$ thing it was to do.

I blame it on the beer. 2 friends of mine had come out training with me and like usual while waiting for the quail to recall we enjoyed a few barley pops and shot the bull. They still give me crap about it.:cheers:

I can picture the bunch of you with "SUDS" foaming from the nose.:cheers:

Back