Looking into my first double gun!

I have a Dickinson estate 28 ga and a Dickenson Plantation 16 ga. Very nice guns . Also have Fox Sterlingworths in 12 16 and 20 gauges. Really like those. All on gauge specific frames. As well as the Dickinson. Either guns are much nicer than CZ's , of which Ive had the Ringneck and Bob White. To heavy and just dont have the same feel and balance as the Foxs or the Dickinson guns.

I have a sxs Uggy 16 that my dad gave me--he couldn't get the two triggers figured out. I love it.
I got a FAIR Iside 16 ga with double triggers. took it to SD this year. Having two triggers was nice when one got up a little further out. Just slide back to the back trigger and watch them drop.

I got a FAIR Iside 16 ga with double triggers. took it to SD this year. Having two triggers was nice when one got up a little further out. Just slide back to the back trigger and watch them drop.
I've said this before. I can pick a trigger on the way to my shoulder. I cannot flip a switch on a single trigger or thumb over a switch on the safety on an o/u. I can also go from double triggers to single pretty easy but will struggle with different types of safeties. BTW I have a couple F.A.I.R. o/u 16's. very nice.

I'm old, and old-fashioned, so sxs are what my imagination conjures when I think of a bird hunter and his shotgun.
That said, although the most I've had at one time is four, I mostly use an AYA Matador II, 20g, imp cyl and mod, 25 inch barrels, and got rid of the others except for a venerable Stevens 5100, 12ga, 28in barrels, mod and full.

In some circumstances, I go to a single shot 12ga or 20ga; usually both mod.

Oh, and you probably know this, but while weight is an issue, most often LOP is the key factor for me and successful shooting.

Best Wishes.

3sxsdownbarrels.jpg3sxs-1.jpg3sxsleftside.jpgMick October 2017 2 Wood ducks great retrieve 010.jpg

Last edited:
I shoot either a pick of LC Smith or my 1885 SxS made in London.

Attachments

• 80FD0B82-C9D8-4182-88D6-3DBF128A14D2.jpeg
    80FD0B82-C9D8-4182-88D6-3DBF128A14D2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Here is my SXS Dickinson 20 ga the boys tried to jump these birds but couldn’t get close enough the pushed them my way #4 Hevi shot sent them tumbling Pretty far out there . I have taken geese , ducks , doves Quail , pheasant and Prairie chicken with this little 20 .

I like the interchangeable chokes double trigger and steel compatibility.

View attachment 4223
Was curious about your opinions on this CZ Bobwhite. I am going to put my hands on one tomorrow and see how it feels. The reviews look excellent. Double trigger, hardened receiver looks cool, interchangeable chokes, and english stock. Since I will be grouse hunting the woods what do you all think about the 28" barrel? This gun is surprisingly only $650 but I do not want to drop money or settle for something cheap and be a pain butt to work with. Thanks!
If you’ve never shot a double barrel, use caution when choosing a double trigger gun. Had a beautiful Antonio Zoli a few years back with double triggers. Found inhad Difficulty pulling the first trigger- the trigger guard was just sharp enough that after a few rounds I was flinching. Tried putting both fingers in which resulted in pulling the second trigger on recoil. Finally had to go to pulling the back trigger before the front which resulted in pulling full choke first and modified barrel last. following season the gun found a new home.

You didn'y say what your budget was, so here we go. My first choice would be a vintage Merkel, either SXS or O/U, i'm partial to O/U's. Shot Merkel O/U for close to 50yrs. If they are not your cup of tea, I'd buy a Browning superposed, there's a ton available. Either of these guns will last forever if taken care of, and your grandkids will be shooting them. Good luck.

Back