Looking into my first double gun!

Siegs

Hey Y'all I have been looking into getting my first double gun and I have decided on getting a 20 gauge. I've looked at both O/U's and SxS's and am fine with both. Will be doing some Grouse, Quail, Woodcock, Pheasant with this gun. I have been shooting a 12 gauge semi auto for several years and wanted to try something new. I have my eye on a Dickinson Arms Estate SxS, I was not sure if anyone had any experience with these firearms or could attest to a SxS in general. Thank you for your time!

I may be wrong, but I thought the Dickinson's were rebranded smith and Wesson's from a few years back. I think they are good guns. I handled a Smith and Wesson. Felt clunky and heavy to me. I didn't think I would like a sxs when I bought my first one. I couldn't get over the width of the barrels. Once you get over that they shoot as good and quick as any. I have several now and hunt everything smaller than pheasant with them. I don't care for the way the 12s and most of the 16's feel but love my 410. 28, and 20s.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Dickinson's were rebranded smith and Wesson's from a few years back. I think they are good guns. I handled a Smith and Wesson. Felt clunky and heavy to me. I didn't think I would like a sxs when I bought my first one. I couldn't get over the width of the barrels. Once you get over that they shoot as good and quick as any. I have several now and hunt everything smaller than pheasant with them. I don't care for the way the 12s and most of the 16's feel but love my 410. 28, and 20s.
Thanks for the feedback! What brand are you shooting in SxS if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to keep my options open right now and want something reliable, would really like a double trigger as well. Thanks!

Google FAIR Iside sxs, Italian made gun. I think there's 3 grades of guns from $1800(?) to +/-$3000. A lot of good reviews on these guns. A lot of people are ordering them. Options of wood grades, triggers, chokes, etc. Worth the time to research.

I won't go on at length, but I've been shooting an AYA 20ga Matador II, imp cyl and mod, 26in barrel for everything except geese, turkeys, and deer and love it, without qualification. It has a vent rib, single elective trigger and wonderful wood. I got the gun in 1970 after shooting a friend's LC Smith 20 field grade and (don't tell him) like the AYA better.

I've also got a nice farm sxs gun, a Stevens 5100 in 12ga, not luxurious, but so far, infallible.

You have my best wishes.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.33.07 PM.png
Was curious about your opinions on this CZ Bobwhite. I am going to put my hands on one tomorrow and see how it feels. The reviews look excellent. Double trigger, hardened receiver looks cool, interchangeable chokes, and english stock. Since I will be grouse hunting the woods what do you all think about the 28" barrel? This gun is surprisingly only $650 but I do not want to drop money or settle for something cheap and be a pain butt to work with. Thanks!

I have the Dickinson Estate SxS in 16 ga. It's been my main bird gun for about 6 years now. It did bust the mainspring a couple years ago, sent it to the Oregon shop that does the warranty work and they fixed it under warranty. Other than that, the only complaint I have is the chemical case coloring wears pretty fast. That seems to be pretty consistent with any non old time charcoal color case hardening though.

Do they make in 26in barrels? For speed of handling and quickness of target acquisition, and sometimes, just plain room to maneuver, that extra length on the 28in can make a difference.

For all that, I've heard good reports on the CZ--only thing was how tight it was when new.

Best wishes.

Browning Citori for over/under & for side/side, I use an Ugartechea, which is no longer made but I’d suggest the Fabarm Autumn is worth a look.

I have serval over and under guns and made the mistake of buying a cheaper brand when I first got into them and hated lugging it around. It was heavy and bulky, it shot ok but wasn’t what I was expecting. Once I got into the quality doubles it opened up a whole new hunting experience for me. Spend the money the first time a do it right.

My current favorite is an older Dickson Falcon 20 which was made by Ugartechea. My 28 is also a Ugartechea. I own the bobwhite also. The finish is not as tough as they say it is and both barrels point of impact is slightly off. That being said, I like the gun, The intermediate bob white interests me. I think with a sporting clay pad it would be an awesome gun. The old American guns were some of the best ever made. Goosemaster's L.C. will outlive him. The Ithaca SKB is another but they are out of sight now. I gave 500 for mine 10 years ago. Now they run around 1500. And the F.A.I.R. mentioned above gives me a funny feeling inside when I see it!!! All said and done, for a first sxs and grouse gun to beat and scratch up, I'd have to go with the Bobwhite intermediate, slap a pad on it and WALA,,, GROUSE GUN...Make a commitment put you other guns up for a season. Enjoy.

View attachment 4223
Was curious about your opinions on this CZ Bobwhite. I am going to put my hands on one tomorrow and see how it feels. The reviews look excellent. Double trigger, hardened receiver looks cool, interchangeable chokes, and english stock. Since I will be grouse hunting the woods what do you all think about the 28" barrel? This gun is surprisingly only $650 but I do not want to drop money or settle for something cheap and be a pain butt to work with. Thanks!
My experience with all types of guns in the grouse woods is when swinging on a bird and hit brush, it's almost always hits closer to my forward hand than the end of the barrels. More times than not, I hit my hand on the brush. I use a 28ga sxs with 30 in. barrels in the grouse woods...longer barrels are not the problem so many people think they are.

My experience with all types of guns in the grouse woods is when swinging on a bird and hit brush, it's almost always hits closer to my forward hand than the end of the barrels. More times than not, I hit my hand on the brush. I use a 28ga sxs with 30 in. barrels in the grouse woods...longer barrels are not the problem so many people think they are.
That is absolutely true. For me, barrel length is a matter of speed. Shorter barrels are faster but easier to stop your swing. Longer barrels are slower but more fluid. It's exasperated with doubles. Most people shoot longer barrels better.

Generally speaking (yes, there are always exceptions) the smaller the gauge, the smaller the frame, the lighter the gun...most guns lighter than six pounds need 30 inch barrel to smooth out the swing (momentum). There are some gun writers that have explained..."Moment of Inertia", I believe, or something similar.

Last edited:
Very partial to the B gun O/U's. Beretta for 12,20 and 28 and Browning for 16 because beretta doesn't make one. Have had many different variations of O/U over the years but have settled on these. Only thing I don't like on the browning is the safety as it is a little different than the Beretta. Not bad per say just different. Tried a SxS once and couldn't hit a darn thing with it. Sure it was my issue but have not tried again for 30 years

Back