looking for seasonal quail lease

nc bird man

I am from North Carolina and have recently become semi retired. It seems as though I may have the entire months of January and February to hunt. I am thinking about the possibility of a seasonal Texas lease for Quail. Can anyone offer suggestions, areas, where to look for leases, how much I should expect to pay and how I can keep from gettiing ripped off. I am not a person of unlimited financial wealth so I am sure I will have to team with others to make this affordable. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

nc bird man

save your money, i wouldn't even bother. the quail pop. in Texas is in the toilet and the lease cost is nowhere near worth what you would have to pay.

my advice, if the weather remains decent, is to head to sc or nc/nw kansas and shoot some pheasants and quail for the month of January. as long as the snow doesn't get deep, there are thousands of acres of walk-in ground and although you will have to hunt hard, there are enough birds out there to keep you entertained. you could hunt a 10,000 acre lease in Texas and never move as many birds as you could in Kansas, they are more concentrated in favored areas, not the same in Texas where you need a brace of big running pointers and a 4 wheeler to find your birds...the days of 12-20 coveys a day are gone forever down here.

The problem and I'm not trying to start a fight is that the leases go to the deer hunters for big money. The land owners will sell you a quail lease but you can't hunt until the deer hunters and half their family member clean up the deer and quail. This means you get about a month to hunt and pay for four months. Hunter94 is right, the quail are limited as well.

The problem and I'm not trying to start a fight is that the leases go to the deer hunters for big money. The land owners will sell you a quail lease but you can't hunt until the deer hunters and half their family member clean up the deer and quail. This means you get about a month to hunt and pay for four months. Hunter94 is right, the quail are limited as well.

no argument here, that is exactly how it works, almost all quail leases do not start until after deer season, which is around Dec. 20th.

i have a buddie from Michigan who often joins his friends in Arizona in January to chase quail on BLM land. trouble now is you never know what you might run into if you hunt very far south down there.

for me, i can get all i need in Kansas! great place!

Back