looking for private land with trespass fee

HS Strut

Can anybody tell me where i can find listings of landowners that allow hunting for a trespass fee such as $100 per gun? I'm looking to maybe have a day or two next season that I can get on some private land and maybe not work the dogs quite as hard. I love hunting public land but it's a long drive to get there and 5 days in a row is hard on dogs if it's an all day deal every day.
If anybody knows names and numbers and are willing to share you could send me a message.

Not looking to steal anybody"s spots....just looking for places that actually are looking for hunters. Places where the landowner maybe puts out some food plots and charges per gun....Not looking for $400/day with lodging.

Thanks

I would start by going online and looking through Chamber of Commerce or City Websites and seeing if they have a list of people in their area that will take paid hunters. My guess is that most Chamber of Commerces have something that will help you out, since they exist to drive up business in the area. Start with some of the bigger more popular communities (Mobridge, Pierre, Aberdeen, Huron, Winner, Chamberlain, Mitchell, etc.) and go from there.

Without a prior relationship with the landowner I don't know if you'll find $100/gun/day. Seems to be they start at $150 or $200. Late season could be cheaper than early season as well.

Thanks Jackrabbit....planning on making a trip out this summer to scout and maybe look into it a little further

If you are dedicated enough to make a midsummer scouting trip from Indiana to SD, then I am confident enough that you'll be able to put in the necessary work to find exactly what you're looking for. Whether it is calling a Chamber of Commerce to get a list of numbers, then calling each of them. Or simply stopping by farm and ranches as you drive by and introducing yourself, or chatting up with locals at a bar or restaurant - building relationships and contacts is the number one way to getting access.

Mike,
Having resigned myself to public land & walk-ins years ago, & having never paid to shoot a bird, this is WAY far from my area of expertise, but……I suppose you at least investigate the advice above. Seems reasonable. I’d think, however, that if a landowner is a CoC member, then Jackrabbit’s probably right that they’ll want more than $100/day. That said, if you can get $100-ish/day later in the season, bear in mind that people had been paying a higher rate the entire prior part of the season. My guess would be that such a landowner would have birds just as wild/spooky as the public ones you’re used to. And maybe similar concentrations/populations. Private land does not equal skies black w/ pheasants.

I wonder if you don’t just come out late this summer & do your scouting. Find some places of interest & start knocking on doors. I’m roughly familiar w/ the areas you hunt & I think the majority of landowners around there DON’T permanently lease their land to hunters. Most of them just want the land & birds to themselves (or as is so often the story….their son-in-law). They post it & that discourages a lot of people from even asking. But if you were to ignore “posted” signs & just ask around, I think you might be able to arrange a day or 2 worth of hunting, probably a little later in the season. You’d probably have better luck asking about smaller pieces of cover – small sloughs, draws up through corn or bean fields, & little pieces of CRP. The bigger stuff is more likely to be leased to the highest bidder or owned by somebody hell & gone from here who comes out & hunts it a couple times a year & doesn’t let anyone else on it.

I’ve done very little asking in the last 15 years or so. Not because I never had success. It just took so much time simply to find out who owns stuff. But here’s what I learned back when I asked a lot. Honesty is obviously the best policy. They want to know who you are, where you’re from & when & how many guys & dogs are going to be hunting. You need to know exactly what they own & what they don’t own. Know precisely where you can & can’t hunt. Most landowners don’t want you near their house or livestock. You’ll still find the occasional person who’s NOT a landowner, but thinks he can speak for the guy up the road who’s in town for the day but owns a really nice little draw full of roosters. No. Way. If I don’t have permission directly from the landowner, I don’t so much as touch his fence. In short, try to give them as much info about you, & try to get as much info from them as possible. They may know a neighbor who lets people hunt (for free or not). If you have some success, don’t leave the farm yard without exchanging names & phone numbers on paper. Also.....you stand a better chance getting permission after rifle deer season.

Maybe this is the avenue to follow. Might find some land to hunt for less $$ & that’s had less pressure. Maybe???

Mike,
Having resigned myself to public land & walk-ins years ago, & having never paid to shoot a bird, this is WAY far from my area of expertise, but……I suppose you at least investigate the advice above. Seems reasonable. I’d think, however, that if a landowner is a CoC member, then Jackrabbit’s probably right that they’ll want more than $100/day. That said, if you can get $100-ish/day later in the season, bear in mind that people had been paying a higher rate the entire prior part of the season. My guess would be that such a landowner would have birds just as wild/spooky as the public ones you’re used to. And maybe similar concentrations/populations. Private land does not equal skies black w/ pheasants.

I wonder if you don’t just come out late this summer & do your scouting. Find some places of interest & start knocking on doors. I’m roughly familiar w/ the areas you hunt & I think the majority of landowners around there DON’T permanently lease their land to hunters. Most of them just want the land & birds to themselves (or as is so often the story….their son-in-law). They post it & that discourages a lot of people from even asking. But if you were to ignore “posted” signs & just ask around, I think you might be able to arrange a day or 2 worth of hunting, probably a little later in the season. You’d probably have better luck asking about smaller pieces of cover – small sloughs, draws up through corn or bean fields, & little pieces of CRP. The bigger stuff is more likely to be leased to the highest bidder or owned by somebody hell & gone from here who comes out & hunts it a couple times a year & doesn’t let anyone else on it.

I’ve done very little asking in the last 15 years or so. Not because I never had success. It just took so much time simply to find out who owns stuff. But here’s what I learned back when I asked a lot. Honesty is obviously the best policy. They want to know who you are, where you’re from & when & how many guys & dogs are going to be hunting. You need to know exactly what they own & what they don’t own. Know precisely where you can & can’t hunt. Most landowners don’t want you near their house or livestock. You’ll still find the occasional person who’s NOT a landowner, but thinks he can speak for the guy up the road who’s in town for the day but owns a really nice little draw full of roosters. No. Way. If I don’t have permission directly from the landowner, I don’t so much as touch his fence. In short, try to give them as much info about you, & try to get as much info from them as possible. They may know a neighbor who lets people hunt (for free or not). If you have some success, don’t leave the farm yard without exchanging names & phone numbers on paper. Also.....you stand a better chance getting permission after rifle deer season.

Maybe this is the avenue to follow. Might find some land to hunt for less $$ & that’s had less pressure. Maybe???

All of the above comments are good advice.

Here's my two cents:

Motel clerks/owners often have leads for you - worth asking. My nephew had a lead from the clerk at the local gas station; her husband! He has hunters all season and we currently hunt his farm 1-2 day's.

When you decide on the county you want to hunt, I've found the county plat ownership map/book a big help - 1-800-752-3402. This map book lists the owners and telephone numbers. Last year we hunted a fabulous farm; I used the map and phone number to connect with the land owner.

Years ago we routinely ate breakfast at the local diner, got acquainted with one of the waitress' and she led us to a land owner. Bar-tenders are another good source of leads. One very jolly fellow that tended bar at the local watering hole owned a farm...we hunted his place for years...

I'll second the Chamber of Commerce - they are a good source of info.

I contacted a motel last year seeking rates et al, asked if he knew of land to hunt - he sent me a list of 12 land owners to contact. Some of them were lodges, but several were good contacts.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing...perhaps you can add to this post if you are successful.

Last edited:
I take single to small groups out. For $150 per gun per day. Not a all inclusive guide. Alot of my clients that plan a week trip here will try a few days of Public then a day or two with me to get on some more prime locations.

I take single to small groups out. For $150 per gun per day. Not a all inclusive guide. Alot of my clients that plan a week trip here will try a few days of Public then a day or two with me to get on some more prime locations.

Where are you located?

Groton S.D up in ne part of sd.

If it helps in your decision making, the Conde to Groton area has some really good habitat. Even with the harsh winter we have had you still see lots of birds along the sloughs in that area. Plus it's close to Aberdeen which has some good options and so does the Webster area just east of Groton. SDviking

Back