Looking for leads on a pup this Spring

Toad

Looking for leads on a pup this Spring. March at the earliest. I'm not totally decided on what breed, but it needs to be pointy. My top 3 breeds are currently French Brittany, German Wirehair, and Pointing Lab.

I lost Daisy (my avatar dog) to Cancer a few weeks ago. Daisy's range was moderate under most conditions, although she would work closer when desired or push out when needed. My other dog, Junie, is naturally much rangier and really gets out there... So I'll be looking for a closer working female dog to fill in the blanks that Junie skips over. I realize "moderate" range is pretty subjective, so I will say I want a pup from parents that naturally check back at about 60 yards most of the time.

So if you know of any good upcoming litters of moderately close working pointy dogs, please let me know. I'll be wanting to pick it up around March or soon after. I also have a preference for litters with parent dogs that are reasonably calm house dogs since this pup will be a member of the family.

Thanks.

Call Jared Moss at Bestgundogs.com
1-435-421-4420

I have three of his dogs and are all wonderful to hunt with.

Looking for leads on a pup this Spring. March at the earliest. I'm not totally decided on what breed, but it needs to be pointy. My top 3 breeds are currently French Brittany, German Wirehair, and Pointing Lab.

I lost Daisy (my avatar dog) to Cancer a few weeks ago. Daisy's range was moderate under most conditions, although she would work closer when desired or push out when needed. My other dog, Junie, is naturally much rangier and really gets out there... So I'll be looking for a closer working female dog to fill in the blanks that Junie skips over. I realize "moderate" range is pretty subjective, so I will say I want a pup from parents that naturally check back at about 60 yards most of the time.

So if you know of any good upcoming litters of moderately close working pointy dogs, please let me know. I'll be wanting to pick it up around March or soon after. I also have a preference for litters with parent dogs that are reasonably calm house dogs since this pup will be a member of the family.

Thanks.

My female is in heat right now. Going to try and get her bred to my 10 year old male. Don't know what will happen. Pups would be ready around 3rd week of March. I will keep you posted. Oh yea, pointing labs and will be black with the possibility of yellows. Great family dogs with good looks. Great pedigree.

My female is in heat right now. Going to try and get her bred to my 10 year old male. Don't know what will happen. Pups would be ready around 3rd week of March. I will keep you posted. Oh yea, pointing labs and will be black with the possibility of yellows. Great family dogs with good looks. Great pedigree.

Definitely keep me in the loop.

What kind of dogs did you get from him, and what do you like most about them?

Toad, I have GSP's from him. My sister has a Brittany from him. They are all very biddable dogs. (want to please) All have great bird drive and all hunt the cover accordingly. Short cover=range farther, thick cover=range closer.

My GSP's are truly versatile dogs. They all swim and retrieve ducks and point and work upland birds very well.

The thing I love the MOST........they are GREAT family dogs. Love to cuddle and very obedient!!

Jared is great to talk with. He knows a lot.

Toad, I have GSP's from him. My sister has a Brittany from him. They are all very biddable dogs. (want to please) All have great bird drive and all hunt the cover accordingly. Short cover=range farther, thick cover=range closer.

My GSP's are truly versatile dogs. They all swim and retrieve ducks and point and work upland birds very well.

The thing I love the MOST........they are GREAT family dogs. Love to cuddle and very obedient!!

Jared is great to talk with. He knows a lot.

Sounds like you have some great dogs. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely check them out. :thumbsup:

Bump.

Still looking, haven't made up my mind on anything yet. It would be nice if the breeder was within a reasonable driving distance of Manhattan so I could see the parents, pups, and conditions.

No I sure don't. The first guy kind of looks like they might be spitting them out like cord wood? The Facebook one looks like they have only had a litter or 2? It might be worth a call, they look like they have ended up in some pretty decent homes. Facebook gun dog classifieds you might be able to find a litter that way. Toad if you are not completely set on breed there is a griffon breeder in Belvue. After having chessies for 25plus years I'm not sure how I feel about winter coats in Kansas any more.

Last edited:
No I sure don't. The first guy kind of looks like they might be spitting them out like cord wood? The Facebook one looks like they have only had a litter or 2? It might be worth a call, they look like they have ended up in some pretty decent homes. Facebook gun dog classifieds you might be able to find a litter that way. Toad if you are not completely set on breed there is a griffon breeder in Belvue. After having chessies for 25plus years I'm not sure how I feel about winter coats in Kansas any more.

Thanks man. I got a pretty stern warning about GWPs from a vet friend, so I'm a little goosey. Basically said that there are GWP breeders in KS hiding known issues and breeding strictly for the money, and turning out physically unfit dogs. I'm sure that happens in every breed, but the GWP gene pool isn't that big within reasonable driving distance of me, so I'm being pretty skeptical of everything right now.

And on the coats, yeah I swore 10 years ago I would never get another long haired dog... But clippering a dog isn't the worst way to spend an hour. They seem to learn to enjoy haircuts, and recently my kids are even helping out so the dog's coat is not that big of a deal like it was before I got a good set of clippers. I might even say the dog looks pretty sharp when I'm done.:D

About to place my deposit on a litter of French Brittany pups. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

One thing I observed during my puppy search this time was a lot more breed bashing than I remember in the past. Maybe it's because I was undecided on breed for so long, and was really more focused on what I wanted the dog to do rather than what breed it needed to be. It seemed like every breeder just had to get in their little jabs about the other breeds. I guess everybody likes their own brand better than the others... It was kind of funny to me because I'm not really loyal to any breed and I think most "bad" dogs are actually good dogs with bad handlers. haha!

No longer searching. Have agreed to rehome a young French Brittany from a member on this site. Can't wait to put her on quail and pheasants in November!

Back