Looking for hunt trip ideas

I'm looking ahead to the coming season and trying to decide where to hunt. I usually hunt public land around Mitchell S.D.. I have two French Brittany's, the older one has been out west a few times and does well. She was injured last season so we did make the trip. I took the younger dog for a few days to Michigan for grouse. She was young and inexperienced but learned quick.

This year I have the feeling bird numbers will be down, I hope not. I've been looking at where to go. I was thinking of trying North Dakota for pheasants and what ever else I can scare up. I've never been there, but that's part of the fun. Been kicking around Montana, Colorado and Kansas. Each has its plus and minuses. Colorado and Montana are a drive. Kansas is the same distance as South Dakota, but I'm not sure how the fires have affected the birds.

I plan to hunt alone, but that is subject to change. Because of work I need to start planning now, my buddies are more spur of the moment, so I may have people with me, may not.

I can always go to Michigan, but it's close by and I can go there anytime, plus I prefer the prairie. Also I like the adventure of going to a new place seeing new areas and espousing the dogs to different hunting scenarios. I don't have to get my limit everyday to have a good time. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting/scenic/fun places?

Ps. In no way shape or form am I asking for anyone's hunting spots. Not looking for anything more specific than an area of a state. I.e. Western Iowa, or southern Kansas.

Thanks

Where to go this year

Stay on the move. Hunt an area and drive 100 miles. Make a big loop through Iowa, eastern South Dakota, and southeast North Dakota. Sleep in your truck with your dog. Stop in Decorah at Toppling Goliath Brewery and pick up some Intergalactic Warrior IPA for the trip. Give us a full report when you get back.

I'm looking ahead to the coming season and trying to decide where to hunt. I usually hunt public land around Mitchell S.D.. I have two French Brittany's, the older one has been out west a few times and does well. She was injured last season so we did make the trip. I took the younger dog for a few days to Michigan for grouse. She was young and inexperienced but learned quick.

This year I have the feeling bird numbers will be down, I hope not. I've been looking at where to go. I was thinking of trying North Dakota for pheasants and what ever else I can scare up. I've never been there, but that's part of the fun. Been kicking around Montana, Colorado and Kansas. Each has its plus and minuses. Colorado and Montana are a drive. Kansas is the same distance as South Dakota, but I'm not sure how the fires have affected the birds.

I plan to hunt alone, but that is subject to change. Because of work I need to start planning now, my buddies are more spur of the moment, so I may have people with me, may not.

I can always go to Michigan, but it's close by and I can go there anytime, plus I prefer the prairie. Also I like the adventure of going to a new place seeing new areas and espousing the dogs to different hunting scenarios. I don't have to get my limit everyday to have a good time. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting/scenic/fun places?

Ps. In no way shape or form am I asking for anyone's hunting spots. Not looking for anything more specific than an area of a state. I.e. Western Iowa, or southern Kansas.

Thanks

Way to early to have a idea on bird numbers lol. MN been on the rise

I'd say wait till the early crow counts etc come out & reasach the handful of areas u mentioned...

There are 2 state u did not Mention these 2 are way way over looked & off most radars MN & NE tons of quality public lands with 4 plus species of upland birds to chase... Great Waterfowl also... Both those states got to be closer then SD ND & CO KS MT same if not better public land hunt options... Forget MI we have more birds & better public

Stay on the move. Hunt an area and drive 100 miles. Make a big loop through Iowa, eastern South Dakota, and southeast North Dakota. Sleep in your truck with your dog. Stop in Decorah at Toppling Goliath Brewery and pick up some Intergalactic Warrior IPA for the trip. Give us a full report when you get back.

Get a camper, don't pay any of these places to hunt. Work hard, knock on doors, don't take a bunch of guys, drive a beater, farmers like that.Even if you have money, don't tell anyone.

Back