looking for a gundog club to join

primalphil

Hey everyone,

I live in Firestone and I'm looking for a club to join that I might be able to hang out with and learn from. I'm newish to the sport and this will be my first gun dog. I'm excited as hell and prepared but I would definitely benefit from some experienced folks. I did not have the luxury of growing up with anyone who hunted so everything I've learned has been self taught. Any suggestions?

I can help

I can assist with your questions. I live about 20 minutes north of you and am very active in two very good clubs. Shoot me a PM with you telephone number and I'd be happy to visit with you and discuss each club in detail and let you decide from there.

Jeremy

primalphil - You could check out Rocky Mountain Sporting Dog Club. They have several properties in Strasburg and Hudson. They hold monthly fun hunts that are not as quite as intense as NAVDA or NASTRA. This weekend is the club championship being held in Strasburg. That will end our club season but it will start back up in September. Unlike some clubs all breeds are welcome, and they offer competitions for both Flushers and Pointers. It is a family oriented club so they have hunts for Novice (dog or handler), Womens and Youth. You have year round access to properties, discounts on birds, discounts on pro training, and tons of fun. You would be welcome to come and check out the club championship this weekend. You can view the website at WWW.rmtsdc.com
or contact the club president CJ Kausel at 303-699-7199.

Second for Rocky Mtn. Sporting Dog Club-great bunch of people and active in Pheasants Forever, too.
Tom

I have two Brits. My experience is they need very little training. Get them out and let them explore and have fun then get them on some birds. They figure it out pretty quick. Encourage them to point anything and everything and they won't disappoint you. Retrieving is not their strong suit but with some training in that area, you'll have a great, loyal hunter that is well suited for most upland birds.

other than house training and manners I haven't done too much with him other than taking him everywhere to let him explore. We went down to the river a couple days ago to let him explore some water and I take him to random fields to let him do what he wants. He's almost 11 weeks so I'm not wanting to take him to places that are dog heavy yet just cuz his shots aren't done yet. He's such a funny little guy tho, he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything that comes his way including loud noises.

yeh, good luck with the mannors. britts are 1000 miles an hour with their hair on fire and they just love to grab your stuff and make you chase them to get it back. they are also GREAT bird dogs and pets; just give em plenty of excersize.:thumbsup:

He's such a funny little guy tho, he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything that comes his way including loud noises.

For the gun shot training, I did the deal where I let the dog get out and explore and then fired a shot from a 22 pistol...dog came over and did brief check to see that I had not shot myself, then went back to exploring. Did it again, and dog just looked back at me then went back to exploring...did it again at the end of the day with four shots in succession...no negative response. That was it. Did that with two of my Brits and they are fine with gun shots, thunder, fireworks, everything...they love being out so much, nothing seems to bother them...except going to the Vet...haha...good luck, sounds like you and your dog will do great...

Back