Looking for a dog.

Kworth86

I was wondering if you guys knew of anybody who has a pup/dog available or a breeder that you recommend. I am leaning towards a lab or springer but am open to any other breed that doesn't mind doing a little duck hunting on occasion.

If you live in Chico, I'd recommend contacting Pierre Urrutia at the link below. He's a professional trainer and avid upland hunter and he's well-connected with anything having to do with sporting dogs in this region.

http://www.diamondpgundogs.com/index.html

If you're looking to by a Lab pup or a started dog, there are quite a few options locally. Hightest Retrievers south of Oroville produces outstanding dogs, but my top recommendation would be Dustin Retrievers. They've moved their flagship operation to Twin Bridges, Mont., but still maintain a facility in Sutter.

You can get in contact with an ESS field trial/ hunt test group (I'm pretty sure there's a chapter in Sac) to get info on any springer breeders around and see what they have. I've been to the spaniel hunt test at Spenceville before and everyone was very nice but I kind of gathered that the majority of them did not hunt their dogs, only HT and FT so you might be able to find a started field trial wash out that would make a fine gun dog.

I got my springer from California Springers out of Bethel Island. They breed for hunting and hunt their dogs. My pup has turned out great, couldnt be happier with him.

got my new pup today.

I ended up buying a yellow Lab whose grandparents are out of Dustins retrievers.Thanks for the input everyone.

I ended up buying a yellow Lab whose grandparents are out of Dustins retrievers.Thanks for the input everyone.

Nice!

That photo takes me back 13 years to when my now-retired old boy looked just like that. It seems like that time went by in a blur, but then I think about all that we've experienced together. It's been a heck of a ride!

I've got a 2-month old black one now, so maybe we could link up for some training.

I have never train a dog for hunting but I've read a few books about it.

Don't sweat the inexperience factor -- I know a local guy real well who does this sort of thing for a living and we'll have plenty of advice and instruction along the way. I've gotten a great deal of help from him over the past dozen years under a professional trade arrangement and we've become very good friends.

Nice looking pup KW! Good luck, the fun has just began.:cheers:

Back