Looking for 4 hunters for a hunting lease in Gregory County, SD

Hellow,

We invested in a prime pheasant hunting property near Gregory, SD about three years ago. It is a 240 acre property with approximately 60 acres of CRP in a pollinator habitat ideal for pheasant nesting and brooding. Also, there is approximately 20 acres of a mature shelter belt with cedars and plumb thickets. We plan to hunt October 24-30 this season. We are looking for four other hunters to lease out the rest of the season. There is 3 water and 1 electric connections for RVs. We listed the property at www.huntingleasenetwork.com. as 240 acre Gregory, SD. I will answer any questions you have, and hope we can find a long term rental agreement.

Doug Harrison

Hi Doug,
Interested in your leased property but have a few questions.
1. When you say rest of the season does that mean until the end of the hunting season?
2. Will your lease time always be the 1st part of the season?
3. Do you have a long term lease or did you buy the property?
4. What would the yearly lease be individually if 4 hunters can be found?
I was born in S.D. but have lived in Idaho since the late 50's but I still have lots of relatives in S.D. I'll check out the huntingleasenetwork to see if any of my answers can be answered.

Thanks, Greg

In reviewing their web site I found the following:

The lease is a bid arrangement, starting at $2,350.00. High bid wins the deal.

Cost per hunter - $587, assuming four hunters. If a hunter used this land for 10 day's/season, $58/day.

This is certainly lower than the $150 average per day others are charging, although the final bid price could be much higher.

Wonder what the bid history is for this farm...

240 acres is not a lot and if there is only 60 acres of CRP and 20 acres of shelter belt that's not a land to hunt. Maybe enough for a single hunter but not for 4 or more. And then how often could it be hunted? Once or twice a week? Not trying to rain on your parade, just stating some of the facts. What type of land are the other 160 acres?

We are the owners and looking for others to share in the cost and experience. I agree the huntable acreage is only about 80 acres, but it’s the highest quality habitat for wild pheasants. We took advantage of a pollinator habitat that was available and requires nine species of flowering plants and three species of native grasses. Very few farms in the area have high quality CRP. Our immediate neighbors are large land owners with mostly tillable land. My other near neighbor is a large hunting outfitter ( Buffalo Butte Ranch). The farmer hunted in December 2017 on the property and said they flushed about 100 pheasants. Last year I hunted opening weekend. I was the only hunter and don’t have a dog. I do not shoot a lot of birds since it’s only myself. We are flexible on when we plan to hunt, and will coordinate with the renters each season. It would be no more than one week out of the season we plan to hunt. Go out to the property and look around. Bring your dogs too. Just let me know when you plan to visit so my neighbors won’t think you’re treaspassing.

Doug: what is the bid history for this farm? Or is this bid arrangement the first time around?

Thanks

Jonny
Not sure about the bid history. The website doesn’t give it to you(or I don’t know how to get it). The property was listed about a week ago with no offers yet.

Doug:

Do you have 4 hunters or are you looking for hunters? You said you hunted alone last year...

You own the property, right? Who are the other three? When do they/you hunt?

I may be interested in a 2-3 day hunt and would pay the going day/lease rate, if that can be established.

Jon

Last edited:
In order to be included in the "group" is one required to place a bid? Does the lease holder (bid winner) then control the hunt numbers? You stated "we" will hunt...who is we? Are they part owners?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Doug:

If there are no bidders, would you be willing to "lease" the farm on a daily or weekly basis? I might be interested in that arrangement...

Jon

Pheasant nesting observations reveal the highest success of pheasant broods is with a minimal 20 acre block of dense nesting cover(DNC). The estimated survival is one rooster per DNC acre. This property was designed with three 20 acre blocks of DNC and should produce 60 rosters each season with variables to weather. It is not the amount of acreage, food plots or cover that provide abundant wild pheasants.

Last edited:
The South Dakota Fish and Game conducted a study to observe successful pheasant nests with comparisons to the different land uses. The observation areas were 9-59 acres over 4 years. In Tripp County (nearest to our property) the successful nests were: DNC 56 out of 148, alfalfa 29 out of 76, roadside 32 out of 111, pasture 17 out of 34 and small grains 5 out of 15.

Last edited:
Back