Long Distance Traveling for Birds

Birdman2

Ok I will start. For the last couple of years I have stayed at Airbnbs when traveling for Upland hunting. I gave up on hotels and motels due to people waking me up at 2 a.m. when they come stumbling In and banging doors. Or at 3:30 getting up to go set out decoys and banging doors.
Airbnb's have been ok, but they are a more expensive option. I have had a few problems with them also. I am thinking of getting a 16' Camper, easy to pull and have everything I need. When I am on the road, hunting, I want good sleep period. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
So sold rvs in Montana for 4 years. A couple of questions to get settled. Alone all the time or take along a friend or family members?
How long do you go for? Will you camp off grid?
What is your tow vehicle?
Where do you live and where do you plan to go ?
I’m airbnb in New Mexico and Arizona now . Sold my trailer a couple of years ago and want to get another!

Just got back from Kansas. Stayed at a hotel. $47 a night with free breakfast in the morning. In my opinion, you can’t beat that. I like fresh towels and hot shower every day after walking 12 miles. Plus, you usually meet some fellow hunters that may or may not point you in the right direction

Dustin, Typically I meet one other hunter on each trip. Trips can be as long as 3 weeks. Live in TN. Go to ND,WI. This year I hope to make more trips. Wife will come on some trips. I'm thinking of a 16' Airstream Bambi. Sleeps 4, has bathroom, weighs 3500 pounds. Will pull her with Lexus GX 470, older model. Towing capacity 6500 pounds. AWD and 4WD. Will camp off grid some..I had a 23' Airstream before. Miss them.

Last edited:
Things I would want for hunting trailer in a perfect world! Dual axles - safety.
Dual propane tanks single tank can be gone in cold weather in 4-5 days.
Heated and enclosed under belly . Heater protects water lines and tanks from freezing.
A couch and dinette. If someone comes over for dinner after hunting for comfort.
Dual pane windows are rare but like propane for cold weather invaluable.
IMO 16 is fine for a single hunter. Awfully tight for more people and dogs. I do like the flexibility. I have been chasing quail and am STUCK by the air bnb location of the hunting is not good. Trailer solves that!

I too am looking into this. I have multiple hotels within an hour that are under $100/night but am looking for flexibility when with just the dog. The neighbors have a GeoPro camper that is fully "off grid". Solar panels/heated tanks the whole 9. I've found them used for right at $20k....BUT....I can buy a lot of rooms for $20k....plus the 10 mpg to get there. I am torn in my decision, but the simplicity would be nice. I could stay right at my hunting grounds.

Yes trailer solves that. I had one trip where lodging was a 100 miles away from where I was hunting daily. It made the trip terrible.

I too am looking into this. I have multiple hotels within an hour that are under $100/night but am looking for flexibility when with just the dog. The neighbors have a GeoPro camper that is fully "off grid". Solar panels/heated tanks the whole 9. I've found them used for right at $20k....BUT....I can buy a lot of rooms for $20k....plus the 10 mpg to get there. I am torn in my decision, but the simplicity would be nice. I could stay right at my hunting grounds.
Time is always limited on trips, I don't want to spend much time driving period.

I m cheap I’ll buy a lightly used model that is 8-10 years old …. Repairs can be handled cheaply vs new pricing for something that is used a few weeks annually . As long as roof sound , no mold, tires ,axles, brakes and frame not damaged.

I m cheap I’ll buy a lightly used model that is 8-10 years old …. Repairs can be handled cheaply vs new pricing for something that is used a few weeks annually . As long as roof sound , no mold, tires ,axles, brakes and frame not damaged.
I will be buying used also. Airstreams hold their value well.

I stay 75-100 nights a year in a motel for work and will do anything to stay somewhere else. I really enjoy the camper when the trip is long enough to justify the effort, if not its an Airbnb for me.

A few thoughts/issues I have found. I think it might depend on the state and area that make it logistical. I have a 18' toy hauler and it is great for National Forest grouse hunting as you can camp anywhere in N.F.. If in county or state forests you need to find designated camping spots and there are few. Campgrounds are an option if open. Thats WI. where I live and Birdman travels to. Birdman, is that your situation?
I believe Iowa closes their state campgrounds in October but you can use them, no electric, etc but no big deal.
Anyone know about South Dakota? It would have to be BLM land, right?

I have a 4wd Sprinter van I can configure for camping. Thermostatic controlled heat, propane stove, lighting, water, comfortable bed. I have parked it in fields and hunted right out the door. It's fun, but not as relaxing as spreading out my stuff in a cheap motel. I go this route when no other lodging is available within a reasonable drive. Rarely do I find any air BnB options in the small towns I hunt around.

Also, my van would not work for 2 hunters so it is only an option when I hunt alone.

Bottom line, I put up with the occasional inconvenience of the cheap hotels. It's part of the experience, just like the bad convenience store dining.

Now that I think about it, maybe this is why my wife has no interest in ever coming with.

I have a 4wd Sprinter van I can configure for camping. Thermostatic controlled heat, propane stove, lighting, water, comfortable bed. I have parked it in fields and hunted right out the door. It's fun, but not as relaxing as spreading out my stuff in a cheap motel. I go this route when no other lodging is available within a reasonable drive. Rarely do I find any air BnB options in the small towns I hunt around.

Also, my van would not work for 2 hunters so it is only an option when I hunt alone.

Bottom line, I put up with the occasional inconvenience of the cheap hotels. It's part of the experience, just like the bad convenience store dining.

Now that I think about it, maybe this is why my wife has no interest in ever coming with.
Sprinters are cool...

Another cool thing about camping is grilling and camp fires. Camp fires are great if not too windy or dry. Also very cool to camp in National Forests. Done that several times.

If I recall, you are not allowed to camp on game production or CREP lands in SD. I have tent camped in Nebraska in one of there recreation areas in mid November, water was still functioning and only needed their pit toilets. I know that many of the smaller towns in SD have signage showing camping areas within them, not sure how functional they are or when things are shut down. I have thought of going the trailer route, but 1800 miles round trip at maybe 10mph and 3 dogs I looking for other lodging have been able to find places for under 80 per night that allow dogs so I cant see buying a trailer. Also with unpredictable weather in the Dakota's last thing I want to mess with in extreme cold or snow is a trailer. I agree Sprinters are way cool and seem to be very popular in the western states.

In Michigan you can disperse camp anywhere on state forest lands, as long as you are more than a mile from a designated campground, you only need a no cost permit. Permit is good for either 15 or 21 days depending on the season.

I agree, it is easier to boondock in the great northern woods, than the plains for sure. My last trip, after driving 100 miles each way to hunt Roosters was the last straw for me. I want the option to camp near hunting.
Spend more time resting the old body, than driving.

I’ve looked at the whole camper deal and I just can’t justify the cost of the camper, the reduced fuel mileage and all that goes in to it. Have been blessed to be able to find other accommodations that allow us to cook our own food on our schedule at reasonable prices. If that ever changes maybe will relook at it?

I am not sure how much road salt you will be encountering, but I just replaced the entire steel fame on my fiberglass dog trailer with an aluminum frame. My step kids had A trailer with an aluminum skin on a steel frame for their band equipment. After one winter in Ohio, it looked like it had been shot with a shotgun because of galvanic corrosion. If I was going to get a trailer to use on salty roads, I would look either at a trailer with an aluminum frame, or a fiberglass trailer. The other thing I might consider would be a truck camper if I really wanted to camp.

Back