Lock and Load for the Opener

BritChaser

Heading to the happy hunting grounds in NW in the morning. Expectations? Low.

Good Luck my man.
Wasn't planning on hunting, but got a phone call from a landowner asking if I could round up some guys for a walk. Looks like we'll be out as well!!

I'm heading to South Dakota today once school gets out, excited as all heck!!! Missing the Kansas opener, 2nd time in my life doing that. But with the reports I've got from Western Kansas, I think it was a no brainer.

Cancelled our hotel rooms out west. We're just going to day-trip out of Wichita. Depending on success, I'm considering a return to SD after Thanksgiving.

Good luck to all. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go. First time not going on the open. Five lumbar surgeries since last October, with the last one 6 weeks ago. With the poor bird report received from the land owner, I'm using my head instead of my heart.
My brothers in arms, are heading out Monday, going on a scouting trip. Heading North of Russell, then working their way West then south. Going to be a cold, windy weekend,

Perfect weather.

Headed to central Kansas for the opener. Phez have pretty much disappeared since the 2012 drought, but the quail numbers are great. Looking forward to some good dog work.

Doesn’t look like I”m going to Kansas this year. SD was great. I’d love to be there for the opening though.

Last edited:
Went to South Dakota last week and had a blast. We’ve decided not to go to western Kansas for the first time in nearly 30 years. Just not worth it after seeing so many birds last week

I won’t be hunting the Kansas opener this year.

We’re leaving Texas on Saturday for SD and will be up there hunting for a week. On the trip home, we’re going to take a side route and look some country over. If it appears promising, we’ll go back and hunt in Kansas after Thanksgiving.

Good luck to everyone hunting opening weekend! I’m looking forward to the reports that get posted on here.

Leaving for Kansas in 30 minutes. Despite all the ill reports, I’m still excited as hell to get out there and walk the fields and sloughs with my friends and my girl Hazel! Weather should be great!

nice and chilly

I’ll be out some. The guys I’ve been hunting with most of the older guys have stopped coming and with no birds around this year I’m sure it’s just going to turn into a party. I think I’ll sit it out.
My wife’s going out west I think I’m going to tag along with her. She said she’d walk a couple fields with me. Trying to convince her she needs to carry a gun

I hear nothing good about K.S. this year but I'm not ruling it out until I hear it from all you guys.
Where I’m going I guess they hatched some birds but they think they all burnt up. Didn’t see anything cutting corn or milo and bailed most of their stalks and a lot of their grass. But there ought to be some carryover especially late in the year when they bunch up a little bit.

I was scouting in the middle of last week and saw a few birds. 2 roosters, one hen, and a covey. This was on three different fields. I think we'll see a few and kill a couple or 3.

Back