loads for combo phez/quail

So if a guy were going out and didn't know what might come up- how does everybody load and choke for a combo hunt of both species?

Imp.Cyl. if a single barrel, Imp./Mod if a double. Short barrels 26" or less. Use high velocity 7's or 71/2's shouldn't be any circumstance where you feel wanting. If the hunting terrain is really wide open,no brush,to speak of have used plain modified in a single barrel with fine results. Best commercial shell in my experience Fiochi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4's inch, 1 3/8th's nickel plated 7 1/2's. I assume hunting over pointing dogs, if flushers or dogless, I might tighten up on chokes a little. Your personal choice of 20 or 12 gauge. This combo has served me well for 35 years. Pattern your gun and pick what you like.

I've gone pheasant/quail combo hunting on preserves before and using my 870 with a modified choke and some cheap 6 shot, I killed both and dropped a quail at about 50 yards or so. The guy I went with said it looked further, but I don't think so.

Never liked 7 1/2's for wild pheasants. Most of the places we hunt one is liable to run across both quail and pheasants. Load for pheasants. Let the quail get out a bit.

Where I am hunting we have quail with a few pheasants.

I generally load 7.5 for the quail, which can handle a pheasant as long as it is not a straight away shot. I am hunting over a pointing dog and only shoot pointed birds, so my shots are at pretty close range.

If I am in an area that is more likely to be a pheasant, I will load 6s.

I am shooting a 20 ga O/U, so some of the time I will put 7.5s in the first barrel and 6s in the 2nd tighter choked barrel.

In my 16 sxs its LM and 6s in both barrels. Got a new to me 20ga. o/u with fixed IC/Mod chokes. I'm pretty sure I'll use the 6s in it also. All of this on Kansas wild birds. On preserve birds I use 7.5s with good velocity and do well.

BobM

Back