Load preference / shot size

CAB

Just curious on members preferences - when loading your auto (or o/u, SxS) do you prefer your first shot to be with say, a #6 for more pellets and back it with #5s or opposite? It seems you'd want greater spread for your first (closer-in) shot, and greater energy on your longer shots...but I was curious to hear the different responses.

I will tell this has been hashed over before. But with all the new members maybe we can do it again. I shoot all 20 and 28 gauge O/U's in the field. I will normally set them up for Pheasant this way; my first barrel light mod/skeet2 with 1 ounce of 6 shot at 1220 FPS. The second (2nd) barrel straight mod. choke with 1 ounce of 5 shot at 1220 FPS. I set up the 28 gauge the same way but 3/4 ounce of shot. I should add I am using a pointing dog a Brit. So I'm flushing the birds real close to me.......Bob

Last edited:
Mixing Loads

There were so many quail this year I began shooting 6s instead of 5s for my first shot until I ran out of 5s and then just shot 6s. I carry 8s to hunt down singles of quail after a flush. First barrel has the more open choke, usually an I/C. If I am hunting quail only I shoot 8s through cylinder, then skeet. Knocked down a pheasant DOA with 8s through a cylinder on a close crossing shot this year.

Last edited:
I will tend to put a 6 in for the first shot and then follow that up with a 5 or a 4 depending on how the birds are flushing and such. I wonder sometimes how much of a difference it makes though and if it wouldn't be better to just stick with either 4's or 5's and quit screwing around with it? To me the big upside to double barrells are the ability to have a different choke for both shots and quite frankly that is the one reason I keep considering making the move to a O/U.

Matt D

Thanks guys. I only was able to get out hunting twice this year. I have a Browning A-5 20ga (modified choke)...first time out I loaded #6s and came home with two birds. Second time out, I put my new #5 Rem Nitros in and shot behind each bird, both times I had really nice crossing shots (granted the birds seemed to be flying like rockets). Part of it was opening day birds versus going the last weekend I suppose, but I wonder if I had just stuck with the #6s if I would have had better luck. I just wanted opinions on how others load their autos on this forum. This is a great website...this is my first year back pheasant hunting since my dad used to take me as a kid (I'm 35 now) and I have to say I can't believe I waited this long to get back into pheasant hunting. I'm hooked, and plan on buying an o/u 12 ga for next season. Extra pellets can only help my bad aim!

CAB, I'm what they call an old and slow shooter. But something that will help that "bad aim" of ours. Is go to a gun club and shoot some clays. I am a Trap fanatic and I go quite a bit. There are usually some guys around a gun club that willing to work/help with a new shooter. Give it a try you might like it and get hooked on clays like several thousands of other guys and gals..........Bob

I agree with Bob. I started shooting clays in the off season and I enjoy that enough to help keep the itch down until the season rolls around. It has helped me hit many birds that I'm not sure I would have been able to hit. It seems I can know hit clays or birds with 5s or 6s about equally. The reason I switch is because I shoot whatever I have more of.

VZW, A question on your clay shooting. Do you shoot Trap? I do and I find when a rooster flushes, I say to myself, "Station 3 slight left angle" for example. That tells me how to make the shot and I go on from there.........Bob

Back