Lincoln county....

GustavDaGSP

Hunted lincoln county friday with a buddy and my pointer.
Hunted hard all day with a few points on hen's and a couple false points and no bird to be found :confused:
last 20 min. of the day we pushed a small slough into grass and gus threw up a solid looking point i kicked one Rooster out of the grass with my buddy backing me on the shot bagged that bird and walk alittle father with one more point on another tight holding rooster let my buddy flush it out he shot twice and we ended with two after a long day!
Two in the bag for the area we hunted is not that good but without a beeper on his e-collar its hard to hunt the sloughs and know where a 50 pound Gsp is its like trying to find a stealth bomber on a radar in compared to my lab going into the sloughs he's like a recking machine!

The only thing I can say about Lincoln county or other public lands in that area is that they are most likely get hit often early to mid season. If they have food plots on them then usually they are better. My guess is now that the weather has turned colder with some snow, the cattails/willows and heavy grass areas on the public lands will again see better action. The birds need those heavy cover areas this time of year and this time of the year usually means less pressure too.

I'm currently trying public areas in less popular areas within a hour or so from the cities and am seeing good signs of birds from what the tracks in the snow are telling me. I still only scratch out a bird or two here and there, but at least I'm seeing good sign and I am not driving so far to do so. One thing is for sure and that is the last hour or two of light seems to give you the best chance at seeing or shooting one.

Last edited:
I just remember 3-5 years ago i would go out there and between driving to differnt spots/hunting we would see well over a 100 birds Roosters/Hen's it was hard to not come home with your limit seemd like they flew into your game bag!
I have also seen more people out hunting lincoln more than in the past 5years
so maybe that has something to do with it :confused: i have spots close to my house but i feel if u really want to get into bigger pockets of birds u need to drive 2.5 + hours west!
I guess its just time for me to sack up and hunt harder and get to walkin :laugh:

I've noticed the same problem in Swift County the Benson area.
Spots that I've hunted for years and always found birds didn't have much this year.
I headed further west to Ortonville and saw more birds there, but still nothing compared to the past.

I have also seen more people out hunting lincoln more than in the past 5years
so maybe that has something to do with it :confused: i have spots close to my house but i feel if u really want to get into bigger pockets of birds u need to drive 2.5 + hours west!
I guess its just time for me to sack up and hunt harder and get to walkin

We'll pressure is everything. IMO some of the less popular areas can be just as or even more productive for just that reason. Now with this snow I think you will see more of them out in the later afternoons. I hunted a public piece an hour or so NW of the Cities this afternoon after 5 inches of fresh snow. All in all I probably saw 6 or 7 birds (only 1 rooster) on that piece, but he was wild and never fired a shot. As I was driving to scout another area I ran into this about a half hour before sunset on private land.

This was within a quarter mile of a public area. I didn't capture all of them on these pictures, but there must have been 50 or so milling around out in this baron field getting grit. These birds obviously hadn't been pressured or were pressured off of the public tracts.
dusk5.jpg

It was late in the day or I would have stopped and asked at this place. Oh well there's always next time.
dusk3.jpg

dusk2.jpg

dusk1.jpg

dusk4.jpg

Last edited:
Gustav
What type of beeper are you using on your GSP?

Birdshooter-:coolpics: wish i would take more pics

Goldeneye- I have a dogtra collar on Gus right now it has no beeper been looking for some sort of beeper without getting a whole new unit! The upland model collars that have beeper seems like every brand wants around 500 for them just not in my budget right now :(

Birdshooter-:coolpics: wish i would take more pics

Goldeneye- I have a dogtra collar on Gus right now it has no beeper been looking for some sort of beeper without getting a whole new unit! The upland model collars that have beeper seems like every brand wants around 500 for them just not in my budget right now :(

Google Lovetts beeper collars. There stand alone and may have something your looking for.

Is that Beeper waterproof?
And do u think the hawk is better than the beep i have heard/read on this site that the hawk scream can make the birds hold even tighter?
$100 bucks is alot better than the tritronics/sportdog/dogtra upland collars!

My dogtra transmitter has a LED display just wondering if i am losing power on it faster than normal cuz it colder out? Thats my guess cuz when i get back in the truck it warms up i shut it off and turn it back on and read full bat.
The collar seems to be fine maybe because it under his neck and stays warm from him running?:confused:

My dogtra transmitter has a LED display just wondering if i am losing power on it faster than normal cuz it colder out? Thats my guess cuz when i get back in the truck it warms up i shut it off and turn it back on and read full bat.

Could be, I know that happens with my Cell phone sometimes when there is hardly any charge showing when I've been out in the cold. As soon as the phone warms up it showing more bars.

My Dogtra 2002 2-dog collars don't have a charge indicator so I couldn't say. I do know the batter charge life is ridiculously long and that is one of the things I like best on it.

Back