Likes, dislikes, pet peeves

oldandnew

I am looking at a lot of O/U's this spring and summer which of course is the biggest thrill, and I have learned I have a few definite ideas about form and function. First I think a gun is meant to shoot, first and foremost, since I am an upland hunter, weight and balance are paramount. I like a slender graceful,cut stock and forend, ( no shnaubels), love the appearance of straight grips but actually shoot Prince of Wales or pistol grips better in the field, but might buy any of the above. Peeves and dislikes, cheesey gold birds or lettering on a gun's silvered frame. Box locks with false sideplates, to get more cheesey gold birds on the action. I really like sidelocks, however, and because I like to tinker with a gun year round, I really, really, like hand detachable sidelocks, particularily the ones with hidden thumb catches. I find I rather like the crude game scenes, ( as compared to fine British and Italian) on the old German, and Austrian guns, I assume we all admire the fine engraving on British and Italian guns. I prefer rose and scroll with a lot of coverage, as apposed to the acanthum leave/vines. In a weak moment of truth, I admit that I shoot a trusty Winchester SX2 light 12 the best, probably due to an errant childhood shooting Remington 1100's, but I get so much joy out of the O/U's and SxS's that's what I pull of the rack to carry. Shoot, I even like the endless varieties of breakdown cases, and mutton legs I put them in. Don't get me started on acessories, choke measures, snap caps, brass oilers, I'm worse than a woman in a shoe store. This is sounding expensive so I'll quit. What do you guys like? or dislike?

Wow you are asking for trouble with this one...but I'll throw my 2 cents in. Not really too many issues for me; however, I cannot shoot a straight english stock although I love the looks and feel of them. And I have come to the conclusion that an automatic of any nature cannot kill a bird one...(or at least the birds I've shot at when using an automatic). So it's O/U's for me with an occaisional SxS thrown in for good measure. I have the traditional old and beautiful Winchester 101 with hand scrolled engraving and your bullet train inspired Browning Cynergy's, with a couple of SKB's thrown in the mix and love to shoot everyone of them.

Back