License Question?

beaker

My girlfriend wants to come to Kansas with me to help work/train the dogs during the upcoming season; she won't be carrying a gun/hunting, she just wants to work the dogs while I try to knock down some birds.

Will she need a hunting license?

I'll call KDWP if you guys don't know, but I thought I'd ask here first.

you'd want to do some seriouse reading-

you two are out in the field- here hold the gun- might be considered hunting-
specially if a one of our few game wardens happened to be watching

Ask the KDWP

Best thing to do is read the regs at the KDWP website and call them with any questions.

she needs one in kansas also but she can get an apprentice license wich is good for one year it is a onetime thing and then she will have to buy a regular license after that

Why would she need one??? She isn't hunting? Just because she is in the field doesn't mean she needs a hunting license.

Rut

state law says it doesn't matter she is or could b in contact with a gun and even to run the dogs she needs one

After reading K.A.R. 115-9-7, not only does she NOT need a license, she can also carry your birds while in the field.

Rut

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Other-Services/Law-Enforcement/Regulations/Licenses

Just read the attached link. Seems pretty cut and dry to me... Good to know that she is also allowed to process your birds as well as taxidermy them for you too.

FWIW, if your girlfriend actually DID carry your birds for you while you were hunting, well then I would say she's definitely a keeper.:thumbsup:

kind of like driving......."that car just looks fast son, said the officer, how about i just give you a ticket now and get it over with?".......i would say walking/handling your hunting dog in a field without a shotgun in hand would hardly require a hunting license...show me where the statue reads as such.

Reminds me of the lady out on her husbands fishing boat, reading a book and sunbathing. The game warden comes up and asks to see her fishing license. She says she wasn't fishing, only reading and enjoying nature.

The warden exclaims, "but you've got all the tools, you've got the fishing poles, tackle, nets, minnows, worms, jigs, you could very easily start fishing."

She says "Go ahead and write me a ticket for fishing, but sure as you do I'll have you arrested for rape!"

The warden says, "Lady, I'm out here on a lake, in a boat, no way did I rape you."

She replies back, "but you've got all the tools."

There is no way I'd buy a license in this situation unless I wanted to make a donation to the state. If someone isn't comfortable carrying a gun at first, this is the kind of trip that might just turn that person into a bird hunter. I don't think many game wardens are going to ticket you for that.

One may make a case that both people were working in cooperation to harvest birds.

Seems to me she would be just fine....

"(g) accompanying one or more hunters in the field who are engaged in hunting, except the
accompanying individual shall not be in possession of hunting equipment for the shooting, capturing or
harvesting of wildlife"

thanks everyone

I guess the only gray area would be if a dog qualifies as hunting equipment???

wasn't planning on buying her a license but it never hurts to ask

she enjoys working the dogs and is a crack shot when "popping" clay pigeons, but just hasn't decided if she wants to hunt

Definitely a keeper!

The majority is correct! She does not need a license to accompany you afield. Don't let her hold your gun to cross a fence though. If you were hunting deer the answer would be different. However, as the law reads, she is good to go with you as long as she meets the aforementioned restrictions.

Gove, wrong. Most law is very black and white. Look at the legal weapons. Nowhere are whistles, shock collars, or women sized shoes listed at approved weapons for upland game. As long as she doesn't possess equipment for shooting, capturing, or harvesting game she will be legal and should be comfortable if checked.

I had the same question when my wife wanted to come along a couple of years ago. I called KDWP and was told she would not need a license as long as she didnâ??t have a gun or carry any game. Itâ??s been a few years, so Iâ??d call and confirm for myself.

On public hunting properties managed by Texas Parks and Wildlife, a non-hunter has to purchase a limited use permit for a nominal fee.

To be on the safe side, just call or email KDWP.

Back