Lewistown area

Hunt1GSP

Hello again,
Was planning a Hun hunt early this fall but work got in the way.
A pair of us are looking at doing a hunt first week of nov instead for pheasant and what ever else we run into.
Lewistown has been recommended for a base.
Can anyone tell me about the area. I have been looking over BLM areas and wildlife management etc.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Vince

Last edited:
Hello again,
Was planning a Hun hunt early this fall but work got in the way.
A pair of us are looking at doing a hunt first week of nov instead for pheasant and what ever else we run into.
Lewistown has been recommended for a base.
Can anyone tell me about the area. I have been looking over BLM areas and wildlife management etc.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Vince

vince many folks consider Lewistown the center of upland hunting in montana we have had a couple of climate events, tough winters back to back , poor nesting conditons , and hail. Also 2017 was a droughty year.

things are way different that several years ago. Lots of folks do hunt that area, some ranchers lease hunting, there is Block mgt. access but that can be pounded or frankly not even very good habitat, ( another tangent).

if it were my first trip, I think Nov. is a good time to come. my contacts say huns are decimated thru the entire state, sharptails are slightly better than last year, and pheasants will likely be very spotty... some areas bad where hail hit hard.

you might consider paying some trespass fees? for access to underhunted places for a couple of days?

that said Lewistown is a great area to visit.
travel safe. dustin

vince many folks consider Lewistown the center of upland hunting in montana we have had a couple of climate events, tough winters back to back , poor nesting conditons , and hail. Also 2017 was a droughty year.

things are way different that several years ago. Lots of folks do hunt that area, some ranchers lease hunting, there is Block mgt. access but that can be pounded or frankly not even very good habitat, ( another tangent).

if it were my first trip, I think Nov. is a good time to come. my contacts say huns are decimated thru the entire state, sharptails are slightly better than last year, and pheasants will likely be very spotty... some areas bad where hail hit hard.

you might consider paying some trespass fees? for access to underhunted places for a couple of days?p

that said Lewistown is a great area to visit.
travel safe. dustin

Thanks for the information. I have read the bird numbers are down. But we have never been to the state and it’s been a bucket list item for a while. If we have to, trespass fees may be an option. May just use this trip to get to know the lay of the land for a future trip when bird numbers are up.

Thanks for the information. I have read the bird numbers are down. But we have never been to the state and it’s been a bucket list item for a while. If we have to, trespass fees may be an option. May just use this trip to get to know the lay of the land for a future trip when bird numbers are up.

That area around Roy, is usually good for pheasants.

Back