Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

My bunch has been together for over 25 years and we still have guys that: 1. lane violate when shooting birds. If the bird is 20 corn rows over - don't shoot. Let that guy or a blocker closer to the bird shoot. 2. are permanent edge walkers (PEWs). Get in the slough or the corn sometimes instead of walking the edge or the road. 3. that still walk a straight line. For goodness sake, zig zag a little! Don't walk a fast straight line! 4. drivers that shoot too quick when they should let the blockers shoot. 5. The worst is the guy that cannot keep up with his misses on the day. He is always light when we cut hi-card for the miss pot at night. There, I feel better.

Outside of opening weekend, I hunt mostly by myself. But, opening weekend normally involves a bigger family group. It always bothers me when someone turns a bird to mush by not letting it get out a bit, especially if there are less experienced hunters in the group who are looking to shoot their first bird. I think my sister went 10 years before she finally shot a bird that she knew was "hers".
It took my nephew 5 years to shoot a pheasant!! 5 years!

My bunch has been together for over 25 years and we still have guys that: 1. lane violate when shooting birds. If the bird is 20 corn rows over - don't shoot. Let that guy or a blocker closer to the bird shoot. 2. are permanent edge walkers (PEWs). Get in the slough or the corn sometimes instead of walking the edge or the road. 3. that still walk a straight line. For goodness sake, zig zag a little! Don't walk a fast straight line! 4. drivers that shoot too quick when they should let the blockers shoot. 5. The worst is the guy that cannot keep up with his misses on the day. He is always light when we cut hi-card for the miss pot at night. There, I feel better.
Sounds like loads of fun, lol

How do you do the "miss pot?"

My guess would be putting a dollar (or whatever) in the pot for each miss. The problem I see with a certain person I hunt with occasionally would be the ensuing argument, him saying it's a dollar per missed rooster; me saying it's a dollar per wasted shell.

My guess would be putting a dollar (or whatever) in the pot for each miss. The problem I see with a certain person I hunt with occasionally would be the ensuing argument, him saying it's a dollar per missed rooster; me saying it's a dollar per wasted shell.
Not sure who the "certain Person" is, but that would make the most sense. Otherwise you got a jew buddy who holds off shooting just cuz he doesnt want to chip in a buck. The great one said you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Roosters matter, not shotgun shells.

Does it really matter if this guy is Jewish? Religion seems like an irrelevant point here. Or is that a grammatical error?

Good question.

$1/miss and if you and your buddy cannot figure out who killed the bird you both shot at, you both pay a dollar. If you shoot three times at a rooster and hit it the third shot, you owe $2. It sounds a little much but it works out and we are close enough friends that we will call each other out on "forgotten" misses. The locals that sometimes hunt with us participate too. If you get your limit without a miss (rare), you are eligible to participate in the hi-card draw. It's fun after a long day while relaxing around a fire.

$1/miss and if you and your buddy cannot figure out who killed the bird you both shot at, you both pay a dollar. If you shoot three times at a rooster and hit it the third shot, you owe $2. It sounds a little much but it works out and we are close enough friends that we will call each other out on "forgotten" misses. The locals that sometimes hunt with us participate too. If you get your limit without a miss (rare), you are eligible to participate in the hi-card draw. It's fun after a long day while relaxing around a fire.
I can imagine what a cluster that is, lol

How would you score this one? We jumped about 4 roosters along a fence line along with some hens and my buddy and I both took a shot, I had a bead on the one on my side and both roosters dropped. My buddy claimed that he shot the one on the right but I KNEW that I nailed it. We argued all afternoon (good naturedly of course...) about it. Fortunately I had a Shotkam on my gun and as soon as we got back to hotel I checked the footage and it turns out that I hit both birds! They flushed about 10 yards apart and just happened to crisscross as I pulled the trigger. In his defense he did tag the bird as it was falling 🤣. Here's the video if I can get it to work. Damn it's not letting me post a video, guess you'll have to take my word for it but I have posted it on South Dakota pheasant hunting group on Facebook.

How would you score this one? We jumped about 4 roosters along a fence line along with some hens and my buddy and I both took a shot, I had a bead on the one on my side and both roosters dropped. My buddy claimed that he shot the one on the right but I KNEW that I nailed it. We argued all afternoon (good naturedly of course...) about it. Fortunately I had a Shotkam on my gun and as soon as we got back to hotel I checked the footage and it turns out that I hit both birds! They flushed about 10 yards apart and just happened to crisscross as I pulled the trigger. In his defense he did tag the bird as it was falling 🤣. Here's the video if I can get it to work. Damn it's not letting me post a video, guess you'll have to take my word for it but I have posted it on South Dakota pheasant hunting group on Facebook.
If you have video proof of killing both birds then he owes the pot for the number of shots he missed - including the bird he hit after it was dead. In this case the most fun would be five or more of my buddies, after a glass or two of whiskey, yelling over each other trying to figure it out who owes the pot - all over $2 maybe. Good times!

Does it really matter if this guy is Jewish? Religion seems like an irrelevant point here. Or is that a grammatical error?
Growing up we always called the dudes that were cheap jews. or if your at a sale and try to get a lower price its called jewing someone down on price. It don't have anything to due with where they go to church its just an expression.

If you guys are offended I am sorry.

Back