Less than a month

JSMITH

Is anybody getting excited, or has the year of tough weather put a damper on things? No matter what the numbers, it is a blast to get out with friends and family! I'm planning on heading out close to dodge, what are your plans?

Very excited (as always). Will head out to the Happy Hunting Grounds in NW for the opener and hope for the best. Our best spot was smashed by the hail. Maybe some birds survived by hiding under nearby big evergreens, but even evergreens were torn apart. Fortunately we have some other spots but they may have been under that heavy, deep snow. Mother Nature is relentless.

Dodge City will be our base. Can't wait Land owner sid looks preety good, better than last year, but still not what it was.

Starting in Kiowa County and working our way towards Liberal KS throughout the opening week. Seeing very good numbers this year in the SW part of the state.

Motel reservations made for the first two weekends. Hope we find a few birds but always a nice time in Kansas.

I haven't hunted Kansas since November 2012, I started hunting South Dakota for sharptail and chickens in 2013, quail came back here in Texas in 2014-2015, so Kansas just hasn't been on the radar. However, I have 2 younger cousins who really want to try pheasant and chickens. It'll be one trip for us up there this year, I am on a 20,000 acre quail lease in west Texas this season where we were finding 35-40 coveys a day last season.

I used to hunt out of Dodge, in almost every direction, then moved up to Wakeeney area and hunted the whole NW side of the state from there. If you had to pick, which of those areas would be best to try this year for a short weekend hunt?

lots of bad weather, hail storms around Wakeeney this summer. not everyone got hit, but it's not good.

Good to hear there is some excitement- I was getting worried :) I hope it cools down some as I would like to deal with roosters and not rattlers!

Good to hear there is some excitement- I was getting worried :) I hope it cools down some as I would like to deal with roosters and not rattlers!

It has been cooler than normal in October so far! In the 30's again this morning. Had to scrape frost off the windshield last week.

My setters and I are headed your way to hunt Texas quail with you....lol.
Sounds like a great lease and glad birds have rebounded in TX! However I read that the numbers this fall are down a bit from last year?
I wonder if the amount of good cover/ habitat concealed birds during the annual road side surveys?

My setters and I are headed your way to hunt Texas quail with you....lol.
Sounds like a great lease and glad birds have rebounded in TX! However I read that the numbers this fall are down a bit from last year?
I wonder if the amount of good cover/ habitat concealed birds during the annual road side surveys?

"Down from last year" is the general consensus, however, last year bird numbers were almost at an all time high. There was an expected drop off. I think this season will still be above average for Texas.

Absolutely excited. Plans are still pretty flexible for the opener. Alot depends on the weather. If it is mild then me and my son will take the tent and camp out somewhere.
I'm kind of a nomad as all we hunt is public and I live in sek. Many times I just head the truck west and make up my mind where to go on the way. Outside of opening week it's not typically hard to find a motel on short notice where ever I end up.

Taking my son for youth season this coming weekend. I hope to get him his second pheasant. Last year he got his first during youth season.

Back