Lemmon wildfire!!!

JO BO

For those of you who hunt around the Lemmon SD area a huge wildfire began yesterday and is still burning today consuming over 20,000 acres to date. Not sure what this will do to next year's population.

Guessing it will do little. The nesting habitat will be late due to no old grass and needing to wait for the early grass to get some height to nest under. No snow up there? Must not be where our current snow is coming from...plenty of wind/snow happening here.

It's been the most open winter of my lifetime.....hence the dry grass/conditions for the wildfire. I don't think we have had more than 3 inches of snow combined for entire year and most of that was last Oct. so dry, the dust was thick in the air like the dust bowl days and that is without the tillage they had then.......we need some moisture or it's going to be a terrible grass/crop year for SW ND and surrounding regions.

It seems to be on satellite imagery. It is a long relatively narrow strip west of Lemmon. I doubt it would have much impact this year overall. Maybe some reduced numbers in small areas. It would be interesting to see what this looks like down the road when it grows back.

Back