Lemmon SD

605birdhunter

Has anyone hunted around Lemmon? I had a guy today tell me at work that the pheasant hunting there is unreal. Is there much for public hunting there or is it mostly private land?

I have hunted the Shadehill Reservoir area with very good results and know people who hunt Lemmon/Mobridge. Shadehill area has lots of public.The general rule is to not cross the first fence coming off the lake.Stop at the GFP garage and they will be glad to give more specific advice.I love hunting this area because it's very remote and most people pass it by.Great hunting in the area but be self-contained.Not much for civilization around.

Not as good as it used to be because the word got out a few years ago in Rapid City. I have hunted there since the mid '80s. This year the birds were extremely spooky but I had to hunt two really windy days. Ran into two porkies in ten minutes but kept the dog off. She had never encountered one before.

There is plenty of Game Production Area and walk-in right around the lake.I seldom see anyone except the GFP guys and local ranchers.It's pretty quiet around there.I don't recall being there in early season,but I'm sure it's not heavily hunted.It's not the most easily accessible area and most people choose to hunt the I-90 corridor because of easy access and a little more creature comforts.You can camp there,or get a motel in Bison or Lemmon.Make sure to get reservations early as there is a lot of oil exploration in the area and not a lot of rooms.Deer season starts in mid-Nov and they use some rooms up there,too.

Do any of you guys or anyone else no if a closer place to hunt birds on public land from rapid city? I usually hunt in Gregory but that is too far to just up and go. Looking for something at 3 hrs and under. I know Lemmon is 3 hours away but I was just curious about other ideas.

The deprived west river kid

Sure,The GPA and walk-ins around Oral produce birds.It's an hour from RC.Secrets been out for a long time on them though.Don't expect it to be like Gregory or even Lemmon,but it's worth hunting.I quit hunting there because the sand burrs are too hard on my dogs.

Oral is worth hunting huh? I may have to check it out. All I need is 3 birds a day ha and I'll walk until I get them. Was it hunted hard when you were there? I would be going on week days to get the smallest crowd possible

Sure,you can get a limit there.Weekdays are a good choice.There are some decent right of ways in the area,also.I can't recall the name of the road,but,right before you cross the bridge over the Cheyenne River onto Cuny Table you can have some luck in the ditches.Landowners down there can be a little difficult in that area, so make sure you stay on the right side of the fence.There are some birds along the river over towards Angy, too.Yes,the area does get hunted by locals quite a bit.The Martin area is not too far and has produced well for me in the past.

PF has worked setting up several areas near Hot Springs--check he walk-in book, also several areas near Orman dam NW of Newell, and a great area north of Philip (about 90 miles out)-We (PF) continue to work with the landowner and the GFP on this one. Its big and all walkin hunting but has lots of birds:cheers:

Jim where around Ormandy dam have you been? I have been up and down there and have not seen a single pheasant. I duck hunt there every year but if they have pheasants there that would be awesome. And rancho thanks for the advice on oral. Whereabouts ate you from?

Jim where around Ormandy dam have you been? I have been up and down there and have not seen a single pheasant. I duck hunt there every year but if they have pheasants there that would be awesome. And rancho thanks for the advice on oral. Whereabouts ate you from?

Johnson Siding area.

Look at the states walk-in book for those areas near Orman Dam

That's right outside rapid isn't it? If your interested, we should hunt some if the closer areas if you're looking for somebody to go with.

That's right outside rapid isn't it? If your interested, we should hunt some if the closer areas if you're looking for somebody to go with.

Sure,I currently live in Jones County,140 miles East, but still have the cabin on Hwy 44 and get there frequently.Not sure if I will still be here in the fall,but will be somewhere in the area and always like to hunt.

I am intrigued with Lemmon after reading the description of the area on the PF top 25 list of bird hunting cities. It's remoteness is my type of hunting. I'd also like to see part of the state. Is it worth the drive from Minneapolis MN? I hunted Chamberlain and Hoven last year. The competition for spots in Chamberlain is a little much for me and there is a lack of good public land in Hoven.

Great looking country and has good bird hunting--great deer hunting and really great antleope hunting--subject to bad winters but was mild last winter. There are also lots of sharptail grouse and excellent fishing at Shadehill Resivour(a several thousand acre federal impoundment)--it also has a nice campground. It is big open remote country.

Yes worth the drive.

if you are hunting up near lemmon, newell, etc, you are hunting in antelope country, not pheasant country. I am from Winner, which is south central south dakota, birds were down last year, but i will guarantee we still had quadruple the pheasant population here in winner over lemmon south dakota. We hunt antelope out there every year, so i am not fibbing. I would recommend staying away from the northwest corner of the state and venture further east to get the most bang for your buck

yes, winner is much further, but more power to you, at least you are willing to work for your birds, alot of our hunters want to be done the first hour, so they can go to the strip joints and drink all day. If you are familiar with the area, my farm is located two miles south of sully dam on highway 44, we are equal distances from winner, gregory, and colome.

Back