Legality issue in regards to shooting clays on public lands

CharBroiled

If I recall correctly, a person is NOT allowed to shoot clays on WIHA.

What about state owned public land which is not walk-in?

It wasn't me. But I was hunting the McPherson Wetlands today and in one of the corners, about as far tucked back as you could get, there was a ton of spent hulls and a bunch of broken clays. I didn't think it was legal.

It is restricted to shooting ranges open to that activity. Some of our ranges are limited to rifles and handguns. If you pick up a "Public Lands Regulations" pamphlet the limitations on target shooting, and shooting in general are covered.

Thanks! I did call the Wetlands and left a message. I followed up the next day and talked to a person in charge. He said there were two other phone calls about the spent hulls and clay pigeons where someone snuck down the lane to have some illegal target practice. He appreciated the phone call and the specific details of the locale.

Three people walked by and were worked up enough to phone it in but nobody picked up the shells. Hell I was in high school once and did stupid things.

We always pick up as much as possible. Seems to be a big issue during dove season as well. A secret to keeping a good spot secret is leave no trace. Some our best spots have been found due to shot shells left behind.

Back