Lefty Over Unders

Hoster05

Anybody on here left handed or know of any lefties that have shot over/unders? curious as to what guns they shoot. I know you can find neutral cast stocks and just learn to deal with the action lever operating the other way.

My younger son is left handed. He shoots a citori 20 ga. They have neutral cast and he's never complained about the operating lever.

the benelli 828u is all the over under you will ever need. you can simply adjust the stock using shims. I don't own one but I have shot one they are simply an out standing weapon. if you don't like that then check out browning citori's all browning shotguns are cast nuteral. beretta also just came out with a lefty 686 this year but they are spendy and hard to find.:cheers:

CZ USA also makes/sells a left hand O/U for $999 retail. I don't have any experience with one though. Check out their website.

I am left handed and shoot berretta o/u, older guns like LC Smith. I have never had any issues with any. I do know the berretta's have cast but usually not to bad. I usually go through them before I buy one and find one with the least amount of cast. Depending on where you are. You can have the stock bent buy a competent smith. Never had it done. My FIL is a pretty good smith and has actually removed a fair amount of wood off of stocks that have a lot of cast. Once he got done you would have thought it came from the factory. By the way he's a lefty as well.

I've had a Weatherby Athena (20 ga, 26") since 1990 and have always shot it well. It has neutral cast. A few years ago, I added a Rizzini (20 ga, 29.5") which was cast for a right handed shooter. I shoot lefty due to eye dominance. I had a formal fitting and found I needed a longer length of pull (14 15/16") and to have the new gun bent for cast. The Athena only had 14 1/4" length of pull so I added a removable pad to increase its LOP but left it neutrally cast. The Athena hits even better for me and the Rizzini is also right on when I do my part.

I'm a lefty and have always shot right handed guns. Most seemed to be neutral cast. I shoot a beat up old Stoeger Condor now and it's also neutral. Since I've always sot right handed guns, I don't notice anything. I am going to get a lefty Beretta A400 this year though and I'm hoping it will be noticeably more comfortable. Will be nice to shoot an auto and not have shells flying past my face.

I'm a lefty. I shoot beretta over-unders that I have had steam bent by a Belgian gunsmith near Montreal. It only cost me 150$ per gun to have it done, which included the measuring etc... and it made a huge difference to my shooting. They both shoot where I look. When I miss it's due to lead/follow through. Operating the levers is very natural - no issues there. My advice would be to find a gunsmith who can do this well, and then just shop freely for a shotgun that you love, then have it steam bent for drop and cast, and have the stock cut or shimmed for length of pull. In my experience, you won't regret it.
Dave

If any left handed shooters are looking for a gun stocked for lefties I would check out Joel Etchen guns. He has Beretta 690 field guns with 28" barrels and left handed stocks on sale for $2250. That is an excellent price for a left hand stocked gun and the wood is pretty well figured on some of them. I came across them last week as I bought a used Beretta from him. Was a good guy to deal with and shipping was fast.

Matt

I've heard good things about Joel Etchen as well. Many guys who shoot sporting clays have bought from him.

Being devil handed myself there is more made left hand these days than ever before.
Its best to find out who your local distributer is for any manufacture and ask directly what it is exactly they carry left handed.
Beretta for example has about one of the worst web sites possible they make a pile of options that they don?t list same with browning.

Joel Etchen guns is fantastic to deal with Matt Smith a sales man for them is extremely prompt returning emails.

:thumbsup: about Joel Etchen Guns. The last three posts were spot on. I got one of the 690 Field IIIs. Ordered it just before 5 on Friday. Shipped Monday. My FFL agent got it today. Will complete the transfer tomorrow. Good company to work with and very good prices on better quality guns.

If any left handed shooters are looking for a gun stocked for lefties I would check out Joel Etchen guns. He has Beretta 690 field guns with 28" barrels and left handed stocks on sale for $2250. That is an excellent price for a left hand stocked gun and the wood is pretty well figured on some of them. I came across them last week as I bought a used Beretta from him. Was a good guy to deal with and shipping was fast.

Matt
How did the Beretta you buy work out? I remember your pics from season before last you were shooting a browning CXS 20 ga. if I remember correctly.

How did the Beretta you buy work out? I remember your pics from season before last you were shooting a browning CXS 20 ga. if I remember correctly.
Wow you have a good memory. I believe the beretta from that post was a DT10 sporting clays gun. I still have my CXS 20. Have debated selling it and going back to a beretta but haven’t yet.

I found this old thread researching a lefty o/u field gun. I have a CXS 12 for my clays gun (is why I remembered that) and have been thinking of getting a beretta field gun, maybe 687 w/left hand wood of course.

If you haven't found one/made a decision talk to either Joel Etchen Guns or Cole's in Maine. Both have Berettas and other guns in left and rights. Cole's has gunsmiths on staff that can help with fitting. Don't buy a off the shelf Beretta 686 without checking it for cast. I have two and they both are set up for right handed shooters, though the cast isn't that significant, they still are made for righty's

Back