Learning about Field Golden Retrievers

GoldenHearts

I just joined this forum because I want to learn everything I can about taking care of dogs that are bred for hunting. I brought home my first field golden retriever Skippy, as a pet, and a companion to our then 11 year old “conformation” golden retriever, Oscar. He was 10 weeks old at the time and is now 1-1/2 years old. He and Oscar got along fabulously and we thank goodness for Oscar’s presence throughout Skippy’s puppyhood. We probably couldn’t have given Skippy nearly the amount of exercise and mental stimulation that he needed if it weren’t for him.
Although Skippy hasn’t been trained to hunt, he’s become a great helper to me as I work a few hours a day picking up trash in the campground that my husband and I take care of. He has found things that I couldn’t see below the tree lines, and he will crawl into places that I can’t reach with my “picker” to retrieve cans, bottles and bags. Naturally he adores playing fetch, and he’s getting really good at catching a Frisbee. When he finds a branch in the water that he wants he will fight mightily to remove it and then proudly prance home with it.
We spend nearly every hour of the day together outside, whether we’re working in the campground, riding forest trails in our UTV or hiking around forest rivers and creeks.
Sadly, Oscar died 3 weeks ago after a rather sudden and severe onset of congestive heart failure. We gave Oscar everything we could give throughout his life. He was a happy and healthy boy with a real zest for play and adventure. We hope that the same will be true for Skippy.
I look forward to reading your stories and comments about your dogs, especially things that you recommend for keeping them happy and healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
I would recommend the book “Dakota pheasant and Iowa too by Ed McGaa. He places field bred Goldens at the top of the list. The book is mostly stories about pheasant hunting with constant references to why he loves the Golden, specifically field bred. If I hasnt been set on getting a pointer, he almost had me convinced to go that route. Great book imo.

I would recommend the book “Dakota pheasant and Iowa too by Ed McGaa. He places field bred Goldens at the top of the list. The book is mostly stories about pheasant hunting with constant references to why he loves the Golden, specifically field bred. If I hasnt been set on getting a pointer, he almost had me convinced to go that route. Great book imo.
Sounds great! Thanks much 🙏🏻

Our field bred Goldens also excel at dog agility along with hunting. By doing agility we keep them in shape year around. Getting ready for a long road trip with pheasant hunting and agility.

What has made all my FB Goldens girls special is their personality and their spirit to please. When hunting, the nose knows. I justify trips for #6 for me presently, but #13 for the family. Lots of great memories and making more.
Let's hear from Golden Boy

What has made all my FB Goldens girls special is their personality and their spirit to please. When hunting, the nose knows. I justify trips for #6 for me presently, but #13 for the family. Lots of great memories and making more.
Let's hear from Golden Boy
I heard that! I’m floored by the personality of our FB golden every day. He’s a great comedian, an amazing athlete, a good worker and the sweetest most cuddly dog I’ve ever had. He watches everything I do and loves coming with me wherever I go, and yet he can be just fine left alone inside or outside. He finds the funniest ways of entertaining himself, but he’s never done anything mischievous or destructive. He can be trusted to sit outside unsupervised for quite awhile, because he seems perfectly content just watching the wind blow and the birds fly. How could you ask for anything better than that? It really warms my heart to see videos of people like you out with your dogs doing what they’re made for.

Got the book and just started reading it. Really enjoying it so thanks for suggesting it!

Back