Late Season Trip Ideas

CGD

Thinking about taking another trip this year and targeting quail but not quite sure where I want to go. Thinking the trip will be late December maybe early January, if you could hunt any state during that time which state would it be and why?

Have hunted Kansas that time of year several times. The amount of public land and potential numbers are as good as anywhere. Got to put in the boot miles but have had many multiple covey days there.

Have hunted Kansas that time of year several times. The amount of public land and potential numbers are as good as anywhere. Got to put in the boot miles but have had many multiple covey days there.

Did Kansas last year which was an absolute blast, we didn't put up many birds but it was a good experience and the first time I have ever hunted out of my home state. We were definitely low on dog power for all the ground we covered. We have talked about making Kansas an annual trip destination but are willing to explore other country as well.

Ive never set out on a trip with quail as my primary target, but in KS ive sure busted a bunch of them pheasant and turkey hunting. Also NE seems promising if you want to stay closer to home. I am headed up there in early Dec for a pheasnt hunt and after talking to the area biologists and local farmers, I am bringing my 20ga with me in case we cant find the roosters. They are saying the quail numbers are way up in the SW part of the state.

I went to NM last year for scaled in Feb and had a great 5 days. Daytime up to Mid 50s 2nd week of Feb, nighttime down in low 20s. KS is great for Bobs and NE with their abundant walk-in and forecast should be worth consideration.

Back