Late Season Advice

Sandlake is not all cattails, but there are some massive cattail areas and areas of sudan grass or other 8' high type grasses. The pheasants on Sandlake get smart quickly. There are NWR in both Dakotas that open to pheasants (late season). Pressure is amazingly high opening day and then first weekend.

Sand Lake by Aberdeen, haven't been there myself but sounds like it could be a great time.. If you want to strap on the snowshoes and burn some calories!

15 or so years ago we had many good hunts and shot limits frequently. Hunted there 5-6 years ago and it was just ok and there were a lot of hunters for late season. All I can say is you better like gnarled cattails. There are spots there I am sure that the birds have never been shot at. Miles and miles of tall thick cattails.

Gim, come on, you are not spending 6-7 hours hunting pheasants...I think the limit is only 3!
Actually until last Friday it was only 2 here. Which generally does not take very long to do.

I haven't really found the birds in the cattails this season yet. There's really been no need for them to be in there because its been so warm out. I've found a few on the edge of them in grass, but none actually right in the thick of it. Those spots will be hunted later this month when we start getting snow. If we get any snow, that is. Its supposed to be 50 degrees here again this week.

Sand Lake opens 12/11/2023 this year. Bird numbers are way down in that part of the county but still probably pretty good compared to where most non residents are coming from. From the reports I am hearing they are preparing for 100 plus vehicles this year for the opener. Sounds like it could be a circus.

I just returned from a quick trip to Sodak. IMO Bird # were good. Hunted on Sunday and the overcast weather and heavy frost and fog seemed to keep the birds from moving. Once things warmed up the birds were moving from bed to feeding cover. I tended to find the birds in public that had feed(corn) and tree line. This late in the season they have been hunted and are very spooky. There out there. Some of the CREPS that are barren wastelands might have a very small patch that held birds. I think most people are avoiding them... If they are surrounded by cut corn the birds will be there.

Unfortunately the tactics change from good dog work to out maneuvering the birds, pinching and blocking escape routes. I much prefer following the dog in knee high CRP grass, but that is what you get pursuing late season roosters. I want the roosters that think they can out smart my dogs and end up in my vest.

Get in the cattails boys.. .... jk. Run em and gun am in the grass. Crazy from day to day how it changes.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 44
I'll start by saying this was one of the latest 2nd trips we have ever taken and by far the warmest trip. We kinda expected the birds to not be in the cattails, which for the most part they weren't. Kinda nice not having to pound the thick stuff all day long. Hunted 80 percent public... a certain area of road ditches and that last day we are let walk a quarter with a shelter belt some cane and mostly all crp from fence to road.. lol havnt seen birds in them kinda numbers in quite some time. The public for the most part was pretty quiet. Did see some texas. Illinois. Minnesota plates. Scattered. But never a issue in The morning for getting to a spot 1st .

We ended up shooting 59 birds for 5 days 4 guys. Last day we were 1 bird short as we wanted to hit the road for kids events and such.

Highlight of the trip was watchin that yellow dog and his owner shoot the 1000th rooster. Pretty spectacular feat... glad I could be with on alot of them!!

Attachments

• 1000002226.jpg
    1000002226.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1000002225.jpg
    1000002225.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1000002221.jpg
    1000002221.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 36
45 degrees today and the cattails were the ticket. Birds everywhere
With labs that has always been my strategy late in the season.
Birds often flush wild at 200 yards from a windrow, then scattered in the cattails.
Plus pointer hunters typically avoid that type of cover.

Obviously there are exceptions, but here are some generalities that apply to the part of the state I hunt, which is southeastern/east-central SD. Public land is about as challenging right now as it gets. No snow. Tons of cover of all types. Birds largely not grouped up, particularly roosters, & particularly during shooting hours. They're even tough to scout right now, because they're tough to see without snow. Although pheasants may be roosting on public land, most really don't need it AT ALL during the day. They know they're unsafe there, so they wake up, go to private land for breakfast at sunrise, & spend the entire day on private land before coming home to roost, hopefully during the last hour of daylight, but sometimes after sunset. Most roosters found on public during the day right now, are antisocial types, hanging out alone. Much public land right now lends itself way better to a single or pair of hunters, rather than larger group. During late morning & early afternoon, before they head back out for dinner/supper (depending where their parents grew up), hunting "skinny" cover can be a good bet. Something small enough that pheasants can be forced to fly, ideally within shotgun range. Food should be nearby (1/4 mile. Closer is better.). Roosting cover really need only be somewhat close, like within 1/2 mile to a mile. The closer you are to sunset, the closer you should be to roosting cover. Ditches fit this bill. Commonly bounded by picked grain on 1 side & the road on the other. Thick ditches! Cattails. Nasty tickets. Phragmites. 2 guys/dogs can hunt toward each other to pinch birds. But regardless, be quiet!! Hunt into the wind as much as possible & don't park close to an area, even a ditch, you hope to find a rooster. Park 100 yds away or more. Roosters can be found now, but unless you can hunt their private ground daytime loafing areas or their roosting areas, you've got to do something different than you did a month or 2 ago.

Great advice A5. I think stealth is paramount now. Slamming doors, talking, yelling at dogs, and yelling "hen!" are bad ideas.

What I might add is try to approach a piece of habitat from a different direction, if you are able to. Generally there is a "parking area" where people begin and then start hunting. The birds have been used to being hunted from the same access point for 2 months now. Start on the opposite end if the wind allows.

I personally have not found any birds in cattails yet. A few have been on the transition from canary grass to cattails, but literally none right in the cattails all season. Hasn't been cold or snowy enough, no reason to go in there.

Also never hurts to ask permission to hunt on private land either. Sometimes they say yes.

Got back from SD on tuesday, hunted NW of Mitchell. Pretty tough going for us, we have private land access which we saved for sunday. Friday and saturday we stuck to public stuff. most of the CREP pieces we hunted were hayed. Kicked up 10 birds between those 2 days, got 2 out of 3 roosters those days. Some new CREP pieces were put in this year which is encouraging for next year.
The private land we have access to has plenty of pressure throughout the fall as well but not nearly as bad as the public stuff. Found birds in the CRP and ungrazed pasture with tall weeds. Birds were scattered and they held really tight. Our 2 year old pudelpointer was awesome, great points, found a cripple and made some great retreives. Our 13 year old lab also held in there on some walks as well, I was hoping he would have flushed a rooster up for him and myself. Great times, hoping to get back new years or maybe MLK weekendIMG_8685.jpeg

I'll start by saying this was one of the latest 2nd trips we have ever taken and by far the warmest trip. We kinda expected the birds to not be in the cattails, which for the most part they weren't. Kinda nice not having to pound the thick stuff all day long. Hunted 80 percent public... a certain area of road ditches and that last day we are let walk a quarter with a shelter belt some cane and mostly all crp from fence to road.. lol havnt seen birds in them kinda numbers in quite some time. The public for the most part was pretty quiet. Did see some texas. Illinois. Minnesota plates. Scattered. But never a issue in The morning for getting to a spot 1st .

We ended up shooting 59 birds for 5 days 4 guys. Last day we were 1 bird short as we wanted to hit the road for kids events and such.

Highlight of the trip was watchin that yellow dog and his owner shoot the 1000th rooster. Pretty spectacular feat... glad I could be with on alot of them!!
1000 roosters is quite a feat! Nice looking group of dogs. Glad you had a good hunt.

My buddy was just out there and he did good on friday. Then he said the weekend hordes came out and tough to find birds. Funny because they hunt a lot of private, but the private they do hunt still sees a good bit of hunters. I refer to A5's post above. I still have a dream of making it out to God's country, South Dakota, come January. We'll see how life shakes out. All set for De Smet.

My buddy was just out there and he did good on friday. Then he said the weekend hordes came out and tough to find birds. Funny because they hunt a lot of private, but the private they do hunt still sees a good bit of hunters. I refer to A5's post above. I still have a dream of making it out to God's country, South Dakota, come January. We'll see how life shakes out. All set for De Smet.
Got a town that starts with a A on the weather app.... waiting for that 3 to 6 inch storm

Back