Last Hunting Trip of the Season Takes a Twist

Sorry to see that Piper got injured. Hopefully, she gets a full recovery quickly. These things happen . At least it was the last hunt of the season and not the first. Thanks for posting on the site.

Sorry to see that Piper got injured. Hopefully, she gets a full recovery quickly. These things happen . At least it was the last hunt of the season and not the first. Thanks for posting on the site.

Tanks for watching...It was a great season and now she has all off season to recover.

Not clear, to me, how the dog was injured...leg trap?

Glad she is doing OK.

She ran into some old sheet metal in the field. I think it was from and old shed or trough. I sent her out for the retrieve because thought the bird was going down...she plowed right into it. No leg trap .
Thanks for watching

That is a nasty injury. I am glad to hear Piper is ok. Tough to see a dog get hurt when you are in the middle of nowhere. Heal quickly Piper.

That is a nasty injury. I am glad to hear Piper is ok. Tough to see a dog get hurt when you are in the middle of nowhere. Heal quickly Piper.

Thanks Walk213,
Not the way I wanted the season to end but it could have been a lot worse. Dr. Eaton down in Lamar was awesome. Thanks for watching.
Kiva

Thanks for the videos Kiva. Tears me up seeing a dog get hurt. Glad she is on the mend.
Old homesteads with abandoned farm equipment/ trash piles scare the heck out of me for this exact reason.
Brute

My Brittany ripped open the inside of her rear leg the opening weekend of the South Dakota season and I had to sit out the next two weeks. So better it happened to you at the end of the season. I'm surprised there wasn't more blood. Not sure what my Brittany ran into in the field but she was a bloody mess. Looked like someone had shot her, blood from nose to tail but didn't slow her down a bit. After we got her back to the vehicle and cleaned up it was just one big gash. I carry a surgical stapler in my first aid kit to we stapled it shut and bandaged her up. Took her to the vet the next day and they added a few more staples. Healed up just fine. Good luck with you dog.

My Brittany ripped open the inside of her rear leg the opening weekend of the South Dakota season and I had to sit out the next two weeks. So better it happened to you at the end of the season. I'm surprised there wasn't more blood. Not sure what my Brittany ran into in the field but she was a bloody mess. Looked like someone had shot her, blood from nose to tail but didn't slow her down a bit. After we got her back to the vehicle and cleaned up it was just one big gash. I carry a surgical stapler in my first aid kit to we stapled it shut and bandaged her up. Took her to the vet the next day and they added a few more staples. Healed up just fine. Good luck with you dog.

Thanks for the input DakotaZeb. I think my pup was lucky that it was only a skin tear. Doc said there was no damage at all to her soft tissue. I probably need to invest in a stapler and learn how to use it in the off season.

Kiva

Thanks for the videos Kiva. Tears me up seeing a dog get hurt. Glad she is on the mend.
Old homesteads with abandoned farm equipment/ trash piles scare the heck out of me for this exact reason.
Brute

Thanks for watching BruteForce,
unfortunately they seem to be popular spots for scaled quail.

Thanks for the input DakotaZeb. I think my pup was lucky that it was only a skin tear. Doc said there was no damage at all to her soft tissue. I probably need to invest in a stapler and learn how to use it in the off season.

Kiva

A skin stapler is a good tool to have in your first aide kit. They are not difficult to use. I have had to close up a wound on my dog before. Nice option when you are a long ways from a vet or if the vets not in the office.

Kiva,
Glad Piper is okay.
I try to steer the dog away from old farm houses or trash pits. Too much danger for both man and beast.

Ty (my black lab) had a 1/2" diameter by 1-1/2" deep puncture wound a few years ago in his chest under his right front leg. Luckily it caught the muscle and didn't penetrate the chest cavity He charged in on some quail in a downed cottonwood and got stabbed. He never yelped and kept on hunting. I carry a small first aid kit and was able to clean it up. Superglue is also a helpful item to have for closing wounds.

My season ended abruptly also. Kidney stone got me on Saturday morning. Like the Ty I kept pushing for another 5 hours until I threw in the towel and figured the better point of valor would be to seek medical assistance in Atwood KS. It was a long ride home to Denver I can tell you that much. I did manage to down a rooster before it was over.

Matt

Kiva,
Glad Piper is okay.
I try to steer the dog away from old farm houses or trash pits. Too much danger for both man and beast.

Ty (my black lab) had a 1/2" diameter by 1-1/2" deep puncture wound a few years ago in his chest under his right front leg. Luckily it caught the muscle and didn't penetrate the chest cavity He charged in on some quail in a downed cottonwood and got stabbed. He never yelped and kept on hunting. I carry a small first aid kit and was able to clean it up. Superglue is also a helpful item to have for closing wounds.

My season ended abruptly also. Kidney stone got me on Saturday morning. Like the Ty I kept pushing for another 5 hours until I threw in the towel and figured the better point of valor would be to seek medical assistance in Atwood KS. It was a long ride home to Denver I can tell you that much. I did manage to down a rooster before it was over.

Matt

Matt,
It sounds like a rough end to your season as well. Hope you are feeling better. I have heard that K.S. are NO fun. What's an avid hunter like yourself do in his off season?

Matt,
It sounds like a rough end to your season as well. Hope you are feeling better. I have heard that K.S. are NO fun. What's an avid hunter like yourself do in his off season?

I am still sore but getting better every day. Thanks. The pain is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Stay hydrated. It is a bad habit of mine when it gets colder out not to drink as much water.

Off season I become a competitive long range rifle shooter. On off weekends I chase trout with an ultralight spinning rod in our beautiful Colorado rivers and streams..

How about you? Patiently waiting first ice out to cast the first cast?

I am still sore but getting better every day. Thanks. The pain is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Stay hydrated. It is a bad habit of mine when it gets colder out not to drink as much water.

Off season I become a competitive long range rifle shooter. On off weekends I chase trout with an ultralight spinning rod in our beautiful Colorado rivers and streams..

How about you? Patiently waiting first ice out to cast the first cast?

Used to ice fish but I gave that up a few years back. So wait for fishing season...and hang with the family.

Back