Last hunt of the year

Labs

Last hunt of the the year yesterday. Mild weather, great dog work, lots of birds flushed (I would guess on to 150 for the day) and a couple nice roosters in the bag. I took one of my 870s for this hunt as an 870, frozen lakes/sloughs with cattails, labs, and roosters is about as classic as it gets. I nearly always hunt solo mission but this was one of those where I wished there were one or two more shooters, if so I'm confident all would have limited out. By the time I took this pic of the Wrecking Crew, we had walked a good 5, maybe 6 miles of cattails, and everyone was ready to relax for the rest of the day. Harley (the yellow male and my best hunter) did another of his trademark jaw dropping cripple retrieves in heavy cover, and Jetta (green ecollar, possibly my best pure retriever) did a 70 yard mark into heavy cattails. It was a great retrieve, one of those that almost brings a tear to a guy's eye that he is blessed to hunt with such a talented dog. Even 14 year old Betty (blue ecollar) got a bunch of tight sitting hen flushes. At the end of the day I let her retrieve a rooster a couple times, as this may well be her last hunt of an incredible waterfowl & upland career. We finished our season with 44 roosters, 3 sharps, and 1 hun, pretty darned good considering very little crop was harvested around here...

Last edited:
Nice work, your lucky to have a great group of dogs. I saw your truck when I was in North Dakota back in November with some friends northwest of New Leipzig. Here's to next year!

Todd

Of course, the neighbors started harvesting their corn Sunday afternoon...

I live north of New England so hunt all over the SW corner of the state. Stop and say howdy next time....

Last edited:
Nice work, your lucky to have a great group of dogs. I saw your truck when I was in North Dakota back in November with some friends northwest of New Leipzig. Here's to next year!

Todd

I live north of New England, so hunt all over the SW corner of the state. If you run across me, stop & say howdy next time...

Last hunt of the the year yesterday. Mild weather, great dog work, lots of birds flushed (I would guess on to 150 for the day) and a couple nice roosters in the bag. I took one of my 870s for this hunt as an 870, frozen lakes/sloughs with cattails, labs, and roosters is about as classic as it gets. I nearly always hunt solo mission but this was one of those where I wished there were one or two more shooters, if so I'm confident all would have limited out. By the time I took this pic of the Wrecking Crew, we had walked a good 5, maybe 6 miles of cattails, and everyone was ready to relax for the rest of the day. Harley (the yellow male and my best hunter) did another of his trademark jaw dropping cripple retrieves in heavy cover, and Jetta (green ecollar, possibly my best pure retriever) did a 70 yard mark into heavy cattails. It was a great retrieve, one of those that almost brings a tear to a guy's eye that he is blessed to hunt with such a talented dog. Even 14 year old Betty (blue ecollar) got a bunch of tight sitting hen flushes. At the end of the day I let her retrieve a rooster a couple times, as this may well be her last hunt of an incredible waterfowl & upland career. We finished our season with 44 roosters, 3 sharps, and 1 hun, pretty darned good considering very little crop was harvested around here...
Beautiful. I'm a lab guy all the way.We had some good late season hunting in the frozen north country.

Back