Last hunt of the 09 Season.....

Husker

Saturday, my Father, Brother and I went back to Miller, SD to close up a couple of our houses for the winter and to see how the birds faired the storm. Well, the snow is deep! Most of our tree belt had 10-15 foot drifts in them, the corn stubble is better the 2 feet deep in most spots and the better part of all cover is filled... We saw 1,000 of birds out feeding in the blown over areas like soybean fields and shorter corn stubble. Standing milo and slews seemed to still have good enough roosting cover. There's no doubt this is gona hurt some birds, but I think as a whole they should do fine. We did manage to get our limit but man we had to earn them in that cold and deep snow!

fyi.... Most all the birds we took had a BUNCH of fat on them, more then I've ever seen.

Steve

(Yes, this was the temp, not the wind chill when we left that morning!)
get-attachmentaspx.jpg

(Deep!)
SDC10202.jpg

(Very tired dogs, that snow is hard on them!)
SDC10212.jpg

SDC10207.jpg

Deep snow et al

Thanks for the Miller report. Have hunter east of Miller - 6 miles, for a number of years, including 2009 season and wondered what the land looked like after the storms. Appreciate your input and the photos. Which direction from Miller do you hunt?

Thanks again.

Jon

All these post blizzard reports make me wish I would not have tapped out so soon. Oh well the yotes and fox need to get shot also :D.

My buddy and I arrived in our hunting country in time to hunt for about 90 minutes Friday afternoon, plus all day Saturday and Sunday. Hunting was absolutely awesome...conditions were tough, but I have had it much worse on many occassions. A very memorable hunt!

Back