Largest pop sharp-tailed ????

Really? I wonder how they figure something like that? If its true then good for Idaho.:thumbsup:

That's the Columbian Sharptail, a cousin of the regular?, common? sharptail we see on the prairies. Total population, I suspect there are a whole lot of non-Columbian sharptails elsewhere.

Good catch OaN. Yes, I'm sure Idaho has the largest population in the Columbian basin (home range of the Columbian Sharpie I guess).

Last edited:
Looked it up and Columbian is the smallest sub spieces of sharp tailed grouse with a total population of between 18,000 and 25,000, so it's great that Idaho is taking action to increase them. (article said the state was taking action to improve habitat)

As to Sharp Tailed grouse the latest data I could find had the harvest from 2009 in South Dakota at 38,000--note the historic high was in the late 70's at about 140,000.

It is the same sad story--LOSS OF HABITAT. The article I read also says that Wind Power Generation projects also hurt breeding cycles---seems they don't like the towers.

Keep up the good work in Idaho---every little bit helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back