Lady's weekend, mud fest, and kissing deer

Uplandhunter67

Well this weekend was day 32 and 33 of the 2016-2017 season. It was really pleasant weekend weather wise. 52 degrees on Saturday and 46 on Sunday.

We started out on Friday night by kissing a deer outside of Joes with my Ford Escape. He leapt out of the dark on a collision course with us in the blink of an eye. Fortunately I was able to realize we were going to meet and hammered on the gas swerving slightly right. Doing that little maneuver got the deer to hit the front quarter panel. He bounced pretty hard taking the mirror and denting both doors. By the time we stopped he was gone leaving us a memento of an antler in the road. We were pretty lucky that other than a few dents and a broken mirror.

Saturday started off cold. Both my Lab and Springer were excited to be in the field. By 11 am the roads started to thaw and got a bit sporty. Some of our favorite places were out of reach due to the conditions of the roads. We hit the fields we knew would hold birds and walked 10+ miles and saw nothing but hens and some great dog work. I love when my flushing dogs stop and point birds that hold just a bit too tight.

Sunday morning we were able to get into a couple of spots while the roads were still frozen. Still only hens... A bit frustrating to say the least but I do get great pleasure watching my dogs work a field. The wind picked up around lunch time so we changed tactics and moved into the red swailie grass. Again we found numerous birds but none with color. Finally near a ditch we ran into a single rooster that flushed 60+ yards out. My hunting partner threw a shot at him knowing it was a stretch. Bird never missed a beat. The roads again started to thaw around lunch time and after sliding sideways a couple of time we decided to call it quits before going in a ditch.

So our weekend ended with no birds and a dented dirty truck. On a lighter note I don't have to clean my shotgun and we have one more weekend left...

Well this weekend was day 32 and 33 of the 2016-2017 season. It was really pleasant weekend weather wise. 52 degrees on Saturday and 46 on Sunday.

We started out on Friday night by kissing a deer outside of Joes with my Ford Escape. He leapt out of the dark on a collision course with us in the blink of an eye. Fortunately I was able to realize we were going to meet and hammered on the gas swerving slightly right. Doing that little maneuver got the deer to hit the front quarter panel. He bounced pretty hard taking the mirror and denting both doors. By the time we stopped he was gone leaving us a memento of an antler in the road. We were pretty lucky that other than a few dents and a broken mirror.

Saturday started off cold. Both my Lab and Springer were excited to be in the field. By 11 am the roads started to thaw and got a bit sporty. Some of our favorite places were out of reach due to the conditions of the roads. We hit the fields we knew would hold birds and walked 10+ miles and saw nothing but hens and some great dog work. I love when my flushing dogs stop and point birds that hold just a bit too tight.

Sunday morning we were able to get into a couple of spots while the roads were still frozen. Still only hens... A bit frustrating to say the least but I do get great pleasure watching my dogs work a field. The wind picked up around lunch time so we changed tactics and moved into the red swailie grass. Again we found numerous birds but none with color. Finally near a ditch we ran into a single rooster that flushed 60+ yards out. My hunting partner threw a shot at him knowing it was a stretch. Bird never missed a beat. The roads again started to thaw around lunch time and after sliding sideways a couple of time we decided to call it quits before going in a ditch.

So our weekend ended with no birds and a dented dirty truck. On a lighter note I don't have to clean my shotgun and we have one more weekend left...

I wish you had some success. I do agree with the dog work. It is fun when the birds sit tight and the dogs get on top of them. Good luck on your next trip. I hope to see some colorful pictures.

It's quite an adventure when that top layer thaws out with ice underneath. My old man called it "slicker that owl shit".

Last edited:
Which is slicker-owl sh*t or owl snot? I always thought it was owl snot.

Back