Lab guys sorry but....

I have hunted behind several labs, a draathaur, a Griffon and I have even hunted behind a cocker spaniel when I was a kid and my grandpa hunted pheasants behind a rat terrier. Each dog was functional but in my opinion what made a great dog great were the number of bird contacts and retrieves it had as early as possible in its life. Preferably wild birds and as many species as possible.

Like Golden Shower says wired tiddy pointers are perfect for guys that are fat, unathletic or not very good shots. Seems like the pointer guys love to always talk bout dogwork but if you check out the guys whose dogs are exciting to watch and load up the vest with public land roodies time and time again then its the flushers that get it done. But some bros like brokebacking and steady stand and stare. Them bros also like other dueds.
It is a pretty good statistical chance that there are quite a number of hunters hitting the fields and woods that are fat, as referenced by the CDC's data on overweight and obese people in the U.S., and I've not personally seen any studies that include what breed of hunting dog they prefer. Other than that, I'd also like to step onto my soap box and say that if there are any members on this forum who consider themselves anything OTHER than heterosexual, know that I value your input on hunting, guns, dogs and dog breeds, and conservation just as much as I would someone's input on these matters who DO consider themselves heterosexual. Such a dumb comment.

1710788317317.png

if there are any members on this forum who consider themselves anything OTHER than heterosexual, know that I value your input on hunting, guns, dogs and dog breeds, and conservation just as much as I would someone's input on these matters who DO consider themselves heterosexual. Such a dumb comment.
Dumb comment no doubt but thats pretty much the norm for that guy, I doubt anyone on here cares what you think about homosexauls? I know I don't.

A vdds, still not sure what that is😆.
Verein Deutsch Drahthaar. It's a German Wirehaired Pointer bred within "special" VDD standards, as opposed to AKC or NAVHDA. Sheer silliness to everyone who calls a spade a spade (or a wirehair a wirehair). I hear they're ultra versatile. 😉

Screenshot_20240318_162219_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!!! This is the freaking most ridiculous thread I’ve ever seen on this forum, starting with the original post. Choose your dog, train it how you want and take it hunting! Y’all have too much time on your hands 🙌 f you got sucked into this $hit fest. Oh damn, look at me responding instead of letting you jokers argue personal preferences on your own 😆

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar. It's a German Wirehaired Pointer bred within "special" VDD standards, as opposed to AKC or NAVHDA. Sheer silliness to everyone who calls a spade a spade (or a wirehair a wirehair).
Thanks for clearing up. If OP would have just said wirehair, then everyone would know what he is talking about. I get a chuckle when anyone busts out the old "deutsch drahthaar," it's the exact same thing as a wirehaired pointer. I will make an exception if the person or dog is fluent in German or has a rollie fingers mustache.269dcd037f206943365a342a7ad1cd86.jpeg

Are you saying you wistle sit them from 200 yards away when they get birdied? If so that's impressive.

For me, I don't hold strictly to the dogs having to be rock solid points and I find it's bad if they aren't willing to move for running birds since it's a pain encouraging them to move up. For thick stuff. I have a release word so my dogs will flush something which works wonders when I can't push into a spot. Plus I do shoot non pointed birds, because I understand that most of the time I was actually the one bumping, not the dog.

I think if you only hunted a single species, you can really get dialed in on a strategy type, but with multiple species, you need some versatility in there.
Yes I whistle sit them at 200 yards as soon as I see they are starting to get birdy...that is for open country hunting where I want a dog that
ranges far...rock ptarmigan in Alaska, huns and sharptails in Montana.
This type of country:
SpurGlacier.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-26 174229.png

Wow!!!! This is the freaking most ridiculous thread I’ve ever seen on this forum, starting with the original post. Choose your dog, train it how you want and take it hunting! Y’all have too much time on your hands 🙌 f you got sucked into this $hit fest. Oh damn, look at me responding instead of letting you jokers argue personal preferences on your own 😆
How else are we suppose to pass the off season? Fishing like rubes?

Thanks for clearing up. If OP would have just said wirehair, then everyone would know what he is talking about. I get a chuckle when anyone busts out the old "deutsch drahthaar," it's the exact same thing as a wirehaired pointer. I will make an exception if the person or dog is fluent in German or has a rollie fingers mustache.View attachment 7841
It's technically just a different language. If someone says they had kielbasa for dinner, do you think they should have said sausage instead? There is a difference between DD and Wirehairs (all DDs are wirehairs but not all wirehairs are DD). And it matters to some.

Back